[3830] WPX '98 SSB - VE6SV M/S

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX '98 SSB - VE6SV M/S
From: ve6sv@oanet.com (Gord Kosmenko)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:10:38 -0700
                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: VE6SV                    Country:  Canada
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES     EQUIPMENT

      160       15       42   2.8        0     Inverted Vee@135'
       80      273      928   3.4       54     Vee@135' 4-Square
       40      170      798   4.7       44     2el@145'
       20     1906     4573   2.4      651     Stack 5el 135'/85'
       15      335      769   2.3       65     6el 90'
       10       31       91   2.9       13     5el 95'
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   2730     7201   2.6      827  =   5,955,227

Station One: FT-1000MP   QRO HF-2500DX
Station Two: TS-950SDX   TL-922A

Operator List: VE5CPU, VE5SF, VO1CV, VE6WQ, VE6VW, VE6NAP, VE6SV

We fell short of our station record set in 1993. Sunday conditions
were poor from here. With no real openings Sunday on 15M or 10M.
Our 10M time was real short and limited to a North - South path.
And a very limited/short opening to Eu and Ja on 20M.
Our local PacketCluster was down, so our mulit hunting was a
manual operation from the second station. In fact, it really was
a "mixed feeling decision" to QSY to another band to pick-up
a couple of multis. When the decision to move was made (after the
rate dropped off) the multi band changed or the multis were gone!
This with the 10 min rule the decision to move to capture multis
and then back to re-establish a run frequency was a key operating
strategy from here.

In fact because of the poor conditions due to aurora we experienced
the path to Caribbean on 15M to be better handled with the low antenna
(at 60 ft) then the main 15M at 90 feet!

Thanks to all my operators on the team, they put in a fine effort.
The upcoming summer will be spent adding towers and antennas to
"de bottleneck" some antenna combination needs for CQ WW DX this fall.
Again thanks to the input of the guest operators.

We had one small repair to do just before the start of the contest.
One of the guest operator you was outside walking the antenna farm
found one of the transmission lines out to one of the towers had
been "attached" by an animal, as the cable was "chewed" up pretty
bad - repairs were made in short order. Also found was a broken end
off our fixed 10M yagi on the same tower.

In closing we of the VE6SV team thank everyone who worked us in the
contest. Please allow three to four months for a QSL card !

73 de Gord VE6SV
Chief Op

Gordon R. Kosmenko      Home 403-922-4331
277-52306 Rge Rd 212    Work 403-414-1266
Sherwood Park, AB       Fax  403-414-1269
T8G 1A9