[3830] NN5AA - WPX CW - SO/HP/SB 10M

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NN5AA - WPX CW - SO/HP/SB 10M
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 15:07:51
                CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: NN5AA (K5NA op.)  Country: Texas, USA
      Mode: CW                Category: Single Operator - High Power
                                        Single Band 10 Meters

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80        0        0   0.0        0
       40        0        0   0.0        0
       20        0        0   0.0        0
       15        0        0   0.0        0
       10      422      320   0.8      215
     --------------------------------------

     Totals    422      320   0.8      215  =   68,800

Time on: 30 Hours

Equipment Description: IC765 => AL1500 => TH7DXX @ 82 ft

Club Affiliation: Central Texas DX & Contest Club

                             Signature __  Richard L. King  __

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Richard L. King - K5NA  (NN5AA)
               17726 FM 973 North
               Manor, TX 78653

COMMENTS:

I caught up with all my QST and CQ reading, plus reading all the weekend's
newspaper while pushing the F1 button. Plus I got plenty of sleep and
didn't miss any of the Bulls/Pacers NBA playoff games. Ten meters is just
plain SLOW!!!

However, I did improve on last year's 10 meter score by factor of two.
There was a crooked path European opening on both days, but only a few
stations were heard or worked. And on both days I heard the same few
stations. I managed to work 9H0A, DL6FBL, IH9/OK5DX, S530, and TK5NN in
Europe and a few EA8s in Africa. I heard, but didn't work, EA4ML and P30A.
There were lots of South Americans, some VK/ZLs, and a smattering of South
Pacific that I worked but no North Pacific or JAs.

The odd thing is that I felt that the band was open all day both weekends
between Texas and W8/W9 land but there were very few stations on from there
to work. I think a lot of folks shy away from 10 meters because of zero
point QSOs but that situation will change next year. I am looking forward
to making QSOs that will actually be of value in the WPX next year. Maybe
someday the CQWW people will take notice and follow suit.

73, Richard

K5NA@BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na