[3830] AA4LR WPX CW SOAB TS LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] AA4LR WPX CW SOAB TS LP
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 13:49:25 -0400

CQ World Wide WPX Contest  1998

Call: AA4LR    Mode: CW    Class: SOAB TS (with no T) LP

   Band     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/QSO   Prefixes
   160        0        0     0.0          0
    80        0        0     0.0          0
    40       28       90     3.2         26
    20       59       93     1.6         55
    15       15       24     1.6         13
    10        7       21     3.0          6
Totals      109      228     2.1        100   =>  22,800

All reports sent 599. Total Operating Time: 7.3 hours

Equipment Description:
Venerable TS430S running 80 watts.
R7000 at 8 feet (20, 15, 10)
125 foot doublet at 15 feet (40)

Club Affiliation: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Squeezed in a little operating time whenever our youngest child (2 yrs)
was asleep, so that's a couple of hours friday, saturday afternoon,
saturday night, and sunday afternoon. CW keeps improving with each
contest. Still needs a lot of work, but I'm now copying in my head.
Overall rate nearly 15q/hr may not seem impressive, but it is far better
than last year's rate of less than 10q/hr.

Propagation didn't seem completely awful. I worked just about everything
I could hear. Even called some CQs and got some answers.

The score of 22,800 doesn't seem like much, but it is a personal best! My
previous best score for WPX CW was 2,700 pts, an eightfold improvement.

Most everyone got my hand-sent CW OK, except for K4RO who insisted I was
K4LR. He finally got AA4LR. Part of that was probably my fault.

Most embarrassing moment happened Saturday night, when I tuned across
W4AN on 40m, calling CQ. A quick check verified that I didn't yet have a
W4 multiplier. Now, I know that WPX CW is Bill's event. He's going to be
in the top 20 in the US, top 3 from 4 land, and that's in a bad year.
Besides, he's a fellow SECC member. So I listened to see if Bill had a
run going. If he did, I would have tuned on. But no, some CQs were going
unanswered.

So, I go to call him:

Me: "AAVMQ <error> AA4EF <error> AA4...."
W4AN: "?"

My hand has betrayed me, and now I'm too embarrassed to call again.
That's OK, since someone else answers Bill. I listen for a while, he
works a couple of Qs, then more unanswered CQs. In the meantime, I figure
out exactly what sequence number to expect (well maybe, he could work
something on the second radio). I call again, and this time complete the
QSO. Bill sends me a greeting, I think, because I catch "... BILL" at the
end. Oh well, time to work on my CW some more....

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901