[3830] 1998 IARU Championship - SSB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] 1998 IARU Championship - SSB
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:25:40 +0600
                      IARU HF Championship -- 1998

      Call: N5HV                     Country:  U.S..
      Name: Rod Fitz-Randolph        Category: Single Operator
                                               SSB only

     BAND      QSO   QSO-PTS   PTS/Q    ZONES  HQ STNS

      160        2        4     2.00      2      0
       80       61      121     1.98      8      2
       40       46      134     2.91     13      9
       20      302     1078     3.57     27     22
       15      298     1172     3.93     28     18
       10       59      233     3.94     13      4

     Totals    768     2742     3.05     91     55
                             (Average)

                 Score: 400,332 points

All reports sent were 5908, unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description: FT-1000MP & AL-1500 (1500 W), 40-2CD at 43 meters,
                       TH7DX at 41 meters, KT-34A at 22 meters, 80 meter
                       Deltal Loop at 38 meters, 160 meter Inverted Vee
                       at 39 meters.

Comment - Several highligts made it very enjoyable, however I overextended
          myself at age 66 and became physically ill from exhaustion
          toward the last.  20 meters was a blessing as was 15 meters.
          10 opened late and closed early as expected.  80 and 160 was
          almost useless due to rain static, lightning crashes, and a high
          general level of QRN. I had difficulty in keeping runs going in
          spite of a number of unsolicited comments about my strength in
          Europe on 40, 20, and 15 meters.  Not sure why.  It was enjoyable
          up to the point where my age told me I really should have gone
          with a multi-single!!  May have to stay with one-banders in the
          future.  I sure hate it: I love competition!!!

Club Affiliation: Tennessee Contest Group