[3830] K6LA SOHP CQP Results & Comments (Long)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K6LA SOHP CQP Results & Comments (Long)
From: KWIDELITZ@delphi.com (KWIDELITZ@delphi.com)
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 15:39:37 -0400 (EDT)
                           1998 CALIFORNIA QSO PARTY

      K6LA SOHP,  Los Angeles County

     band   CW QSOs     CW pts   SSB QSOs    SSB pts
     160         15         45          10        20
      80         79        237          74       148
      40        188        564         101       202
      20        183        549         441       882
      15        195        585         462       924
      10         87        261         485       970
     144          0          0           0         0
     TOTAL      747       2241        1573      3146

     ( 5387 ) QSO points  X  ( 58 ) Multipliers  =  312,446 points

Dan,  AD6DO has his birthday on Saturday and decided to party rather
than  beat me. Jim, N6IG and Dave, K6LL, Carpetbagger Deluxe and
last year's winner both told me before hand that they were
getting ready for trips and not going all out for CQP, so I think
I got back into first place in this one. Late in the contest, K6LL
called me and gave me a number 200 more than mine, and then said
the QTH was San Diego. After a quick adrenaline rush, I said,
"You're kidding me," and he gave me number 50 in Arizona. I think
he got more of a laugh out of that than I did.

Murphy visited early but then left. I had an ANC-4 go out on me, and
about 10 minutes before the contest started, the Alpha 87A that just
came back from the shop started faulting. For the first four hours of
the contest, I kept flipping the standby switch, which usually got
rid of the fault. When it didn't, I powered down and then back up.
After four hours, I started thinking of swapping in an old amp. Then
the problem just went away. It may have been after I turned the closet
fan on that sucks air out from the closet behind the amp.

My goal was 2400 QSOs, averaging 100 an hour. After 12 hours I thought
it was a lock, as I never had an hour under 1200 in the first 12 and
was sitting at 1404 at the midway point. I had my best hour ever from
home, a 160 in the 00 hour, almost all on 20 phone. But 2320 QSO's are
the most I've ever made in a contest. No doldrums for 24 hours. That
was fun!

But 80 was very noisy, 160 was limited and 40 phone didn't provide the boost
of past years and I fell short. 10 opened much later on Sunday than
Saturday, and it  seemed everyone jumped to 15 meters very early on Sunday.
20 was the #3 band on both phone and CW this year.

There was much more DX on phone than CW this year, and more on 15, but
overall only about 110 DX in the log compared to last year's 180. But
I'll take 10 meters being back over the DX any day.

73. Ken, K6LA - Ken Six Los Angeles, KWIDELITZ@DELPHI.COM
                ex-AB6FO