[3830] K6Z CQP M/M County Expedition

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K6Z CQP M/M County Expedition
From: Selbrede@aria.edwards.af.mil (Selbrede, Bob W.)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:53:45 -0700
Call:  K6Z      Category:  Multi-Multi Expedition to Inyo County

Operators: K6ZZ, K6VR, K6NDV

Band Breakdown:

                CW              SSB
160M            5               1
80M             101             16
40M             72              42
20M             240             33
15M             250             165
10M             139             258

Totals          807     +       515     =       1322 QSO's

Score:  3451 QSO Points x 57 Multipliers  =  196,707 Points (new Inyo
record)

Operating Time:  22 hours

Equipment:

The CW QSO's and the 10M SSB QSO's were made from our "high power" station
which was an Icom 775 driving an Alpha 76CA to about 600 Watts out.  We
tried to push it harder but the generator wouldn't cooperate!   Antennas
were a beat up TH3 at 40', an Alpha Delta sloper on 40M & 160M and a
Cushcraft A5 vertical on 80M.  The second station was used for the remaining
SSB QSO's and consisted of a Kenwood TS-450 into a Cushcraft R7.  Logging
was done with two laptops running CT Ver 9.27.

Comments:

We operated from Fossil Falls in Inyo County.  Fossil Falls resembles the
surface of the moon in many respects.  No hills, no trees and volcanic rock
for miles and miles.  We figured we wouldn't be bothered by other campers in
a place like this.  For the most part we were right.  A few folks did stop
by and ask us what in the world we were doing.  We said, "radio contesting".
They said, "err..ok" and slowly walked away shaking their heads!

We had one particular goal in mind; break the 20 year old Inyo County Record
and have fun doing it.  Looks like we beat it by nearly 70K points.  We
managed to work 56 multipliers on CW and 54 on SSB missing only KH6 for a
sweep.  Murphy didn't let us down either.  The TH3 developed some serious
SWR problems and became a source of pain for most of the weekend.  With a
decent tuner you can load-up almost anything if you have too!  We also
toasted some Dunestar Bandpass Filters as well.  Overall we had a great
time.  Thanks to everyone for the QSO's and to the NCCC for sponsoring a
great contest!

73, Bob K6ZZ
k6zz@ccis.com <mailto:k6zz@ccis.com>