[3830] W6XR MS CQWWPH

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W6XR MS CQWWPH
From: force12e@lightlink.com (Natan Huffman)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:03:16 -0500

Dear friends,

I have never looked forward with greater anticipation to any contest, =
than this year CQ Worldwide. The vagaries of surgery left me with only a =
few remaining workable parts to participate in my favorite contest. Even =
though, I knew that given a few workable digits on my right hand I can =
still get into the fray and be noticed.

My sensible wife pointed out to me that I was never going to be able to =
do single op again and be competitive, given what we had to work with. =
So near to the last-minute, I decided to do a multi-single from the =
station which is definitely set up for two radio single op operating. In =
the spring, as my rehabilitation continues, I will get the station set =
up the way it should the because I found out this weekend that setting a =
station up for multi-single is very, very, different then a set up for =
single op two radio. The biggest problem was learning the station. I use =
a lot of switches to move the available antennas to the two radio's. =
What I took for granted was difficult for other people to master. Also =
close proximity of the two radios set the stage for shoving matches =
between the operators particularly at night time.=20

Confounding the new operators even more was massive failures of hardware =
during the contest. We were most ineffective at night time as we lost a =
silly little switch that directed the 80 meter signal to the proper =
place that left us with a very low score on 80. Our 160 and 40 meter =
numbers were affected also by this damn switch. In a short amount of =
time during the evening hours, we lost our main amplifier, Mr.. Alphy. =
Of course the main amp was connected to radio No. 1 which made switching =
the amp from radio 2 over to the No. 1 position very difficult. Glad we =
didn't do it right away, because radio 2 decided to stop functioning. =
Early Sunday morning when it was my time to operate, I was treated with =
one less amplifier, one less radio, and a failed switch that took two =
hours to replace. We lost the European opening on 80 meters almost =
totally Saturday night because of that blasted switch. After the contest =
it was noticed that the stack was well below the height it should have =
been as I had lowered it last February and have not have the opportunity =
to raise the tubular tower back to its proper height.

Propagation this weekend was most enjoyable. It sure is nice seeing =
those 100 plus countries on the high bands, something we should have for =
many years to come. 40 meters was very good, with JA's and the Far East =
stations plentiful, along with very loud European signals. Hats off to =
HZ1AB for his position concerning listening below 7040. We certainly did =
not have the rates of last year on this year's high bands. It seemed =
next to impossible to get a good run going on 20 15 or 10. Looked at the =
rate sheet and it was way down when compared to my effort last year. It =
seemed at times, that the signals from competition were much more =
effective than they have been in past years. Once again I noticed that =
on 20 meters stations braying "CQ contest" were placed from 150 to 350 =
throughout a significant part of the weekend. This will cause us =
problems in the future.

It was most enjoyable having other operators to help out. Art, N2AU and =
Steve, KA2CDJ certainly made this weekend possible or more properly... =
Enjoyable. Both of these talented operators will help us become a force =
in multi-single over the coming years hopefully. Now the task at hand is =
to get the radio and the amplifier back in time, and to make some =
rudimentary changes here in the shack for CQ Worldwide C. W.. God =
willing, I'll see all of you there, maybe with a new callsign.its than

Natan, W6XR/2

CQ WW SUMMARY SHEET

Contest Dates : 24-Oct-98, 25-Oct-98

Callsign Used : W6XR

Operators : W6XR N2AU KA2CDJ KB2YVC

Category : MS

Default Exchange : 59 05

Name : Natan Huffman

Address : 27 Hungerford Rd,

City/State/Zip : Ithaca/NY/14850

Country : United States

Team/Club : SOUTHERN TIER CONTEST CLUB

BAND Raw QSOs Valid QSOs Points Countries Zones

160SSB     22         22         30             9             7

80SSB       66         63        158            42           16

40SSB       125       125       341           60            20

20SSB       443       442       1257         115           37

15SSB       465       465       1293         114           33

10SSB       352       352         928         115           29

Totals       1474      1470       4009        456       142

Final Score =3D 2,397,382 points.

This is to certify that in the contest I have operated my transmitter =
within

the limitations of my license and have observed fully the rules and=20

regulations of the contest.

Date ______________ Signed _____________________________ Call =
___________

W6XR is the following:

Radios... FT 1000MP, FT 920.

Amps... Alpha 86 and Alpha 374

Antennas... 160... quarter wave vertical

80... rotatable dipole at 80 feet

40... Two elements at 85 feet

20/15/10... STACK of two multiband yagi's.. (C3)

10 ..... Ten meter monobanders at 93'

W6XR is located in the Southern tier of New York State overlooking the =
Cornell campus