[3830] K2PS CQWW SSB QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K2PS CQWW SSB QRP
From: mxyztplk@waterw.com (Pete Stafford)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:27:24 -0500
I always have the same feeling an hour after I begin as a QRP entrant:
WHY?!!!

One reason is the amp I blew out in CQWW RTTY.  But after awhile I began
getting some success timing my calls, started figuring out who NOT to call,
and things didn't seem so bad.  And actually, by the end of the contest, I
felt pretty good!  622 Q's ain't shabby, no not at all.

I didn't even try to work any DX on 160, since it was so difficult on 80.
But 40 meters, with 5W and a vee got me into EU lots more times than I had
expected.  And 20-10, especially good old 10 (how I love ya') were just
fine.  Can't get anyone to answer a CQ, of course (though I did try a few
times), but I had occasions when I could sweep up and down the band and work
nearly everyone.  Loads of LU's on 10 made up for a tougher time with the
EU's.

Just might give QRP a try on CW...

                   CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  1998

      Call: K2PS                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator QRP

      160        3        4     1.33      1       2
       80       15       28     1.87      4       4
       40       34       90     2.65     10      22
       20      131      366     2.79     17      56
       15      228      642     2.82     23      81
       10      211      595     2.82     24      69

     Totals    622     1725     2.77     79     234  =>  539,925

Equipment Description:
ICOM-761
Wires on 160-40
TH6DXX up 50' on 20-10