[3830] C4W (op 5B4WN)---CQ WW 98 SSB---SOAB HP Unassisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] C4W (op 5B4WN)---CQ WW 98 SSB---SOAB HP Unassisted
From: mzyd108@unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk (Marios Nicolaou (5B4WN))
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 12:02:21 -0000
                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: C4W (op 5B4WN)            Country:  Cyprus
      Mode: SSB                             Category: Single Operator All
Bands
      Zone: 20                                 High Power Unassisted

     HOURS OF OPERATION: 39

     QSL VIA 5B4WN

      160       93      256     2.75      7      32
       80      296      798     2.70     15      66
       40      853     2423     2.84     24      97
       20      662     1768     2.67     33      99
       15     1059     3016     2.85     35     118
       10     1805     5176     2.87     32     120

     Totals   4768    13437     2.82    146     532  =>  9,110,286

All reports sent were 59 unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description:

FT1000MP
TL922
TH5, 40-2CD, 80m sloper, 160m inverted V at 20m
MFJ Voice recorder

Comments:
My 56th (approx) contest  in 11 yrs but yet my first ever CQ WW as a
single op and all bands. Have been longing for this for years but
unfortunately university studies abroad and other commitments stopped me
from being home in October/November. Fortunately 1998 is the year and
being well trained to work for long hours on call in my job I was hoping
to achieve a close to 48 hr "relationship" with my shack/radio.
The weather in 5B4 was fantastic (unlike the UK), and the bands were "warm"
HOT. Minimal antenna work was required as almost everything was ready from
the IOTA contest. For the first time I did not climb up the tower not even
the
night before the contest, which is a great feeling.

Good rates overall with 7-8 hrs over 200 and 17 over 100, Running or MULT
searching
proved to be a puzzling decision throughout the contest. My multiplier
strategy
was working very well up to day 1 but as midnight approached and my eyelids
started drooping and the rates were not thtat great I decided to go home
and have a 2-3hr
nap. MISTAKE, BIG MISTAKE. I set up 2 alarms. The next thing I remember
was waking up 9 hrs later, BOTH alarms were switched off. Was it Murphy who
switched them off or Morpheus! I will never find out. Take Ivo's advice and
sleep
on the floor or an uncomfortable bed so that it will be easy for you to
wake up!

 Although I was quite full of energy, my psychology changed quite
dramatically
 as I knew that my low band
multipliers would suffer, but I did not give up and continued!

Final score 9.1M. Although I did not win, I think that this was perhaps the
most enjoyable contest so far. For me "the taking part and being there" is
far more important. I hope to get an equally good experience in the CW leg

Many thanks to the 4760 people who called me, to Ivo C4A for his help,
support
(and competition) and my old school radio club who hosted me.

Please feel free to comment.

Best 73s Marios Nicolaou (5B4WN/C4A)

Club Affiliation:  NICOSIA CONTEST GROUP
Team contesting: BUZZ LIGHTYEAR team

                                       Marios Nicolaou
           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Marios Nicolaou  C4W