[3830] K4RO CW SS Low Power

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4RO CW SS Low Power
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 16:07:57 -0600 (CST)
CW SWEEPSTAKES SUMMARY SHEET   07-Nov-98, 08-Nov-98, 09-Nov-98

Station Used : K4RO      Operator : K4RO

Category : Single Operator Low Power

Default Exchange : STN_WKD NR # K4RO 76 TN

Team/Club : Tennessee Contest Group - Central

   80CW      214         213        426       3
   40CW      398         396        792      13
   20CW      281         281        562      43
   15CW       36          36         72       9
   10CW       26          26         52      10

 Totals      955         952       1904      78

    Final Score = 148,512 points.

Decided to try low power in my 4th CW Sweepstakes.  Didn't miss the
amp until I came across VO1MP on 20 meters.  Spent 20 minutes in a
chaotic 20 meter pileup to no avail.  Propagation wasn't quite
favoring us at the time.  He left, and I never heard another VO1/VO2
station the rest of the contest.

The station improvements here at K4RO over the last year are really
starting to pay off.  Last year's SS was my first attempt to use a 2nd
radio, and this year it went much smoother.  I actually used the second
rig most of the contest, as opposed to just playing with it occaisionally.
Having bandpass filters on both rigs made a world of difference.  The
addition a second steerable tribander helped a lot too, even though 10m
& 15m produced few QSOs.  The N4KG 40m boom dipole works OK at low power,
and it played very well.  It's nice to feel that all the hard work is
paying off in station performance.  Now if I can just get the operator
to perform better...

Thanks for the QSOs, and see you in the next one!

-Kirk  K4RO