[3830] W2PV: SS CW de N1RR (long)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W2PV: SS CW de N1RR (long)
From: morriso@massed.net (Yvonne Morrison)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 19:53:17 -0500
1221 Qsos  X   79 Sections  =  192 K

        Sweep at 1345 Z - VO1MP found on 20 on the second radio.

CLAIMED:   New ENY Section Record - MULTI-OP
                     Old record K1ZM  166 K  1994 ( or 1990)

CLAIMED:   New  HUDSON Division Record - MULTI-OP
                     Old record AA2FB 172K  1997
                     (AA2FB is in my old home town of Lindenhurst LI NY -
but we've never met ! )

Thanks to Fred K2TR and his family for their hospitality. Fred works hard on
his station year-round and then
I stir things up by asking to have the station re-configured for SS ! This
re-configuration requires Fred to climb two towers ! He turns the bottom 3L
full size 40 to the west and usually the lower 6L 20 ! With the flares and
disturbances, there was no need to turn the lower 20 this year. Also a low
80 and 40 dipoles are activated.

TS-570 + Amp           20M                    W2PV 6L @ 110'
TS-930 - Alpha 76     80M                    2 x 2L Quads @ 120' + Dipole @
60'
                                     15M                    7L @ 135' +
4L/4L South
TS-930 - Alpha 77     40M                    3L / 3L  @ 140'/70'  + 2L South
@ 100' + Dipole @ 45'
                                     10M                    6L/6L @
145'/108' + 4L/4L South

C T  9 2 7   +   N1RR's manual three radio control box.

Solved the chair-comfort issue this year by bringing my favorite chair. Boy,
if I only knew how much I'd be happy about the chair before this all started
!

While I have been trying to get my health back , I still have a ways to go.
Preparations during the week were short-circuited by a busy/stressful work
week.   This was a S/O effort that turned into MULTI-OP.

While hooking everything up, I realized that my usual headphone ( HEIL )
were left at home. Luckily, Fred had
a few pairs of headphones.

10Meters started out with 30 QSOs in 20 minutes ! Then to 60 Qsos after 40
mintues, then I shoulda gone to 15.... I did, but 15M wouldn't play..... 1st
HR = 81 QSOS   I'm still dreaming of my first 90 QSO HOUR in CW SS !  2nd
hour with 15 and 20 was a disappointing 55 QSO HR !
On to 20 and then to 40!  Rates return to 70 then 60 .....  40M  ROCKS at
K2TR !

Later in the evening, that dreaded aurora sound started ! Then, after about
three or four hours it  died down as quickly as it came up. Went to 80 and
the rate began to slip. By this point I was beyond tired and had to sleep.
550 QSOS.

Slept  0630Z to 1200Z and operated 1215Z straight thru to 0245 Z !  As many
would have felt tortured by having to sit for the last 14 hours, it never
entered my mind, as I had traded that for nearly 6 straight hours of sleep.

Knowing how I felt and needing to re-focus on a goal, I chose to aim for the
HUDSON MULTI-OP record.
Fred agreed and we connected packet on Sunday.  Fred and I finished this one
off with a big push during the last two hours. Two ops / three radios /
three open bands / and one switchable keyer ! At several points we had a
pile-up calling on 40 while needed QSOs were stacked up on 20 and 80 !
Worked 672 QSOs during the "second seating" .

A  "  REAL "  24 hour effort as a full  MULTI-OP might prove to be quite
productive from K2TR !
( Two computers would be required. )

 > > >  But there 's  another goal FIRST !

Congrats to John N2NC/KZ2S for 1388 from N2NT while beating Phil at Timmy's,
                     Randy K5ZD at 1318 and Jeff,K1AM at 1248 - Nice job !

Found out that Don N5OLS and Melissa Barclay  had their baby girl a couple
of weeks ago and
Jon N5JA and Sheila Barclay had their baby girl this past week !

Charlie - N1RR
Ex:  WB2RNT / KD2SX / WZ1R