[3830] IL QSO PARTY for W1NN/M

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] IL QSO PARTY for W1NN/M
From: wallace offutt <woffutt@davinci.netaxis.com> (wallace offutt)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:06:45 -0500 (EST)

Final Results for W1NN/M in the IL QSO Party

CW   QSOs =  420
SSB  QSOs =   54

Tot  QSOs =  474   Mults:   92   Final Claimed Score:  82,248

Comments:

Business appointments in Chicago and a mother to see in Ohio gave more
than ample excuse for me to operate the Illinois QSO Party, something I've
wanted to do for a long time. I picked up a rental car in Connecticut on
Friday evening and drove to Ohio Saturday morning, spending the afternoon
and evening with Mom.  Departing Ohio at about 5 AM on Sunday, I reached
the IL border about 11 AM and had three hours to eat lunch, get to a good
starting point, and set up the gear before the 2 PM local start. But
before that, I stopped at the first truck stop I came to and bought the
most essential operating aid:  the IL Atlas & Gazetteer, without which it
would have been impossible to find the back roads needed to get to many IL
county lines.

This contest was really fun.  It was basically an 8-hour Sprint and I did
not take a break the whole time.  There was plenty of activity from both
IL and non-IL stations and lots of mobile competition.  The beautiful back
roads of Illinois provided the perfect backdrop for operating a contest.
80 percent of the time I was on smooth, gravel roads running straight as
an arrow through the state's flat corn and soybean fields.  I practically
had these roads to myself, as there was almost no other traffic. I made it
to nine counties, managing to avoid interstates, major highways and all
but the smallest towns along the way.

A clear, sunny day eventually grew into a vivid sunset and then gave way
to a pitch-black night with no light but the faint illumination from a
zillion stars overhead.  Great 80 Meter conditions provided a 55 Q last
hour, a perfect end to a really excellent adventure.

I will do this again.

73,

Hal W1NN