[3830] NP3A SS-CW SOLP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NP3A SS-CW SOLP
From: Eric M. Guzman-Colon, NP3A" <eguzman@ece.uprm.edu (Eric M. Guzman-Colon, NP3A)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:40:24 -0400
                        ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1998

      Call: NP3A                      Country: Puerto Rico, KP4
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator Low Power

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS

      160        0        0        -
       80        0        0        -
       40      267      534        -
       20      224      448        -
       15      333      666        -
       10      255      510        -
     -----------------------------------

     Totals   1079     2158       79

               Score:  170,482

Exchange: NR# A NP3A 92 PR

Power Output: 90 watts     Hours of operation: 22

Equipment Description:

 FT-990
 10-20 X7 @ 10ft over 60ft rooftop
 40  3el Wire Yagi @ 10ft over 50ft rooftop

Excuses:

Doing some kind of K7BG-style rationale, this are
my SS QSOs in the past year:
         95      96 97  98
====================================
160       0       0      0     0
 80       2       0      0     0
 40     562    621  0 267
 20     253    233  0 224
 15     440    436  0 333
 10       0      0  0 255
 ===================================
       1257    1290      0     1079

Rate sheets (available at PRCC home page: http://kp3z.isla.net)
shows the rate bands were 40 and 15 in past years. My strategy
for the first night was very simple: Start on highest band and
follow MUF and couple of hours after sunset, move to THE BAND:
40M. Stay there until 0400z...

I started on 10M with my personal best first hour on SS CW: 126.
I was excited! I was thinking this is my year! 75 on the second
hour making 201 Qs on the first 2 hours on 10M. Then I followed
MUF to 15 and 20 as planned.

Everything was ok until I QSYed @ 01z to 40M Saturday night.
What a weird conditions! Stations from the northeast were very
weak and drifting just like a Doppler effect. For a moment I
thought my radio was drifting. I realized my radio was ok when
W5/W6ers called with no drifting. My $#@$%^#^$ error was to
assume 20M was closed (based on past years) without QSYing
(ohhh my God!) and keep running on 40m.

What about Sunday? Terrible!

Interesting points:

 126 QSOs + 1 DUPE on the first hour.

 What happened to VEs? My log shows 27 VEs Only !!!

 After asking WP3R who was the Op, I realized why so many people
 were saying "Hi Rich NR123...". The rest said "Hi Pedro NR123...".
 How many of you logged NP4A with a CK of 92?

 Funniest exchange was W2SEX with a ck of 69!

 Hard to find sections were: 77-WTX (????) 78-MB 79-NL

 Unusual large amount of WY, AK, PAC

 201 out of 255 QSOs on 10M were done on the first two hours.

 Listening N0SS and ignoring him. After a while I answered to
 discover he was a REAL participant! I am sorry N0SS...

73 Eric, NP3A