[3830] SS CW @ K1TO

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS CW @ K1TO
From: K1to@aol.com (K1to@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 22:10:37 EST
K1TO Single-Op High Power  South Florida

80 - 65    Inverted vee @ 85'
40 - 657  40-2CD @ 87'
20 - 491  204BAs StackMatched @ 93'/46'
15 - 325  Homebrew 4/4 hard-wired @ 50'/25'
10 - 0     Guess what band I started on
Total - 1538/79

Still an antique radio station:  (2) TS-930S, AL-1200, SB-220

Highlights:
-  Being in the Southeast, during crummy condx.  However, the
difference from WP3R is striking.  Our band totals are essentially
shifted by one full band.  At least I get a #1 South Florida
certificate for my record-breaking efforts (that is of course misleading
with the increased section count).
-  No thunderstorms within hearing distance.  Last year, I was forced
off by an after-midnight storm that lingered nearby and caused QRN
for much of the weekend.
-  A 112 first hour.  16 of those were second-radio Qs.
-  The ease of working the sweep.  Since I was CQing early Sunday on
20, I did not sweep up Gus quite as early as so many others, but it
was still comfortably early.  Congrats and thanks to all the guys who
activated the rare sections!
-  Hearing VY1A calling CQ on 80 near the end.  As disturbed as
conditions were, that was a great effort, Hose!
-  The level of Florida Contest Group activity.  I'm having a blast as Prez!

Lowlights:
-  Spending gads of time to build and raise (5) 10M antennas, then never
being worth it to go there.  Bet I make more than 0 Qs in WW CW on 10.
-  15M on Sunday.  Although the perception is that we Floridians did
well here, I struggled there and retreated to 20 over and over again.  With
many of these Qs on the second rig, I only made 139 Qs on 15 on Sunday.
-  Allowing myself to get frustrated by higher numbers Saturday evening,
espec. from the Westerners.  Amazing how it dropped off from there for
them.  I know, they don't wanna talk about it.
-  In the N2IC tradition, having my 20M frequency stolen by W1AW code
practice.
-  Being a total lid and CQing on top of KH6/W1WEF when I got out of
synch!
-  The guys who are still convinced my name is "Jim".  ;<)

Congrats to Rich, KE3Q for his record effort from WP3R and to many
others whose scores exceed what could be reasonably expected from
their respective QTHs.

73, Dan