[3830] N5NU M/S Screwup

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N5NU M/S Screwup
From: n5nu@inu.net (Jason)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 20:23:18 -0600
                            SWEEPSTAKES SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 08-Nov-98, 09-Nov-98

    Callsign Used : N5NU
        Operators : N5NU, AE5P

         Category : M/S

 Default Exchange : # A N5NU 92 NTX

             Name : Jason Goldsberry
          Address : Rt. 1 Box 1025
   City/State/Zip : Douglass, TX 75943
          Country : United States

   80CW       27          27          52        0
   40CW      397         397      742      15
   20CW      170         170      268      17
   15CW       85          85        132      23
   10CW       82          82        162      24

 Totals      761         761       1356     79

    Final Score = 107124 points.

Total of 48 Second Radio QSO's
I also found --> 19 Multipliers on it

Mults most worked:              least worked:
IL      40                      NL      1
OH      32                      EMA     1
VA      26                      NWT     1
MN      26                      MB      1
SCV     25                      SK      2

This was a very informal M/S operation that Army, AE5P, and I did.  Some of
the older contesters may remember the ex-AH6P, who won the Pacific Division
over KH6IJ about 20 or 25 years ago.  That was the one and only time he
ever defeated KH6IJ in ANYTHING.  Talk about "One time wonders"...  Same
guy, only a little older, and with a new house in TX now.

I called beforehand to get it set up, only to find out that he wouldn't
make it the first night because of a prior engagement.  Anyway, the first
night was by myself.

Second radio operation is AWESOME!!  This was the first serious shot at it,
and it got me 48 more QSO's and several multipliers.

Well I started the contest on 10 meters, because 15 didn't sound like any
place for an "A" power station to be.  I put the second radio on 15 meters
on the 40 meter dipole.  It immediately became useful to me.  Thank the
Lord that I found VE4GV on it within the first half-hour, because I heard
nothing else from VE4 the rest of the contest.

Anyway, the first night was ended with 542 QSO's at 0629z.  By using the
second radio, I had 77 multipliers when I ended, leaving only MAR and NL
for the next day.

<time lapses>

I got up the next morning at 1240z after hitting the snooze button.  I hit
40 meters running, with the first 20 meter QSO being at 1257z.  At 1333z, I
found VE9XB on the second radio for the MAR multiplier.  One left.  I
considered my options.  I could either keep running on 40 meters, and hunt
on 20 meters with the dipole, or just completely change bands to a
not-yet-open band.

I changed bands, and immediately found VO1MP on 14.047 with only 3 stations
calling.  I got beat out by W1, and then a W3.  The pile grew, and grew.
After sitting there listening to him work 35 people, I finally came
through.  *whew*.

Sweep in the log at 1437z.  First one ever.

I quit around 1600z to go to Army's place.  I got there, and it was still
raining.  We hooked up his Icom 751 to the G5RV.  I operated for a while
then taught him the basics of TR'ing.  It got realllllllly slow, so we took
a while off and swapped stories.  Around 0000z we left for home.

I got home around 0040, hooked everything back up and resumed operation
until the end.

HOWEVER, I did find a quirk in the rules.  It says that all the
transmitters must be within a 500 meter diameter.  Maybe it was radius, but
the distance between our houses is well over 15 miles.  Because of this, I
AM leaving the contacts in the log, but I am marking them with "0" points,
and making a note to checklog those contacts.  They are still valid
contacts, however just not counted.  Hence the 678 x 79 that I claim even
though all the contacts are still "valid" ones.

So, by not deleting the contacts it affects nobody else's log, but by not
marking them with 0 points, this keeps me in check with the rules.

Will know better next time...

73, Jason N5NU

PS: Only 1 EMA station? That's too close for me...
n5nu@inu.net
http://www.inu.net/n5nu/