[3830] K4UCF SS SSB M/S LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4UCF SS SSB M/S LP
From: n4gi@juno.com (n4gi@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:45:23 -0500

                    University of Central FL, Orlando FL
ARRL SWEEPSTAKES/COLLEGIATE CHAMPIONSHIP -- 1998

      Call: K4UCF                    Country:
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single/North
Florida/lp

   BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS

      160        0        0        -
       80       30       60        -
       40       85      170        -
       20      181      362        -
       15      408      816        -  This was our "good" band
       10       42       84        -
     -----------------------------------

     Totals    746     1492       76

               Score:  113,392

Power Output: 100 watts     Hours of operation: 24

Operator List: N4GI, KD4RWN, KU4TF,Case.  Special TNX goes out to WP4MWK
for pizzas Sat. p.m.!!

Equipment Description:TS440-s, Fan Dipole for 40-80, and a crippled A-4
(can you guess which 2 bands?) Microwave, mini-fridge, W9XT DVP (I could
drink  DR pepper while CQing......)

STUFF:  by N4GI

Trying to get some new guys into contesting, decided to try low power and
make it simple, but a bit rougher going than last year's HP attempt.
After 2 hours I knew it would be a S&P fest, so I called it quits early
Sat. with a headache the size of Alabama, (which we missed for a
sweep.....?????) cursing the A-4, hoping for a better Sunday on the high
bands.  Sunday was better, until that disturbance hit (ok, who got pizza
on the antennas?).  Then switching between low rate CQing and the good'ol
S&P fest. Chasing SF section around was good entertainment, while last
4.5 hours was hunt for elusive AL.  KD4RWN gave it the old college try.
(no pun intended)
Thanks to everyone who sent me the dimensions for the TH6-DXX!!  It
didn't make it up in time, unfortunately, but it is assembled and waiting
helpers.  The A-4 needs to be replaced, as can be seen from our 10/20
numbers.
Our (read "my") goal was 1000 qso's and a sweep.  Ok, maybe not 1000 Q's,
just a sweep.  Ok, maybe I should have just driven to Alabama.  Alabama
is that one that touches Florida, right??  Or did they move it to
northwest Canada???  We gotta work on the 40/80 setup.....
Oh, well, we all had a blast and learned quite a bit anyhow.  Congrats to
our Collegiate peers for the great scores!  TNX for the Q's.

Other than the free pizza's, we didn't cheat.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]