[3830] KB0VVT(10YROLD) SS SSB M/S(Parent Assisted) LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KB0VVT(10YROLD) SS SSB M/S(Parent Assisted) LP
From: kg0us@swbell.net (David Rich)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:25:50 -0600
I enjoyed the contest very much! I worked for a long time.  After a
while I started getting better at contesting!!  I came so very close to
getting a sweep.  That was my goal to get a sweep.  I hope next time I
will accomplish my goal.  It was nice to talk to everyone. Tnx. Again
for all the fun!

          Your Friend,
       Rebecca Rich
       KB0VVT

Rebecca's main goal for this contest was to get a sweep.  We skipped
many contacts to locate new multipliers.  Rebecca made 100% of the
contacts while I helped with some of the logging and tuning of the
radio.  She had fun tuning up and down the bands searching for the next
new multiplier.  Unfortunately, the ten year old came up ten short for
the sweep.  She needed AR, MS, NTX, OK, WY, NE, SD, NL, PQ, and SK for
the sweep. The most frustrating thing was on several occasions we had to
listen helplessly to one of the above needed multipliers responding on a
frequency controlled by another operator.  Oh well, that's contesting!
Maybe next time.

The local newspaper contacted the area schools wanting to do a story
about an elementary student who does something extraordinary.  The
Raytown school board told them about Rebecca and they published the
following story in the Kansas City Magazine and on their web site:

http://family.disney.com/Features/family_1998_10/kcfm/kcfm108radio/kcfm108radio.html

 The hard copy magazine also contained a photo.

73,
Dave KG0US

                      ARRL SWEEPSTAKES 1998

      Call: KB0VVT                   Country: United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS    SECTIONS

      160        0        0           0
       80        0        0           0
       40       52      104           0
       20       54      108           0
       15       40       80           0
       10       14       28           0

     Totals    160      320          69  =   22,080

Power Output: 100 watts

Operator List: KB0VVT assisted by my Dad KG0US.

Equipment Description:

TS850SAT 100 W to R7 Vertical Up 30 ft.

Club Affiliation: KANSAS CITY DX CLUB