[3830] W6KC SS SSB SOLP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W6KC SS SSB SOLP
From: Jim" <Jim@VistaSierra.com (Jim)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:37:42 -0800
                       ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1998

      Call: W6KC              Section: LAX
      Mode: Phone           Category: Single Operator, Low Power

 Band    QSO's
       80       78
       40       43
       20       78
       15      307
       10      308
     -----------------------------------
     Totals    814  X   79 (Sweep!)

               Score:  128,612

Power Output: 100 watts     Hours of operation: 20

Equipment Description:

TS-450SAT
Antennas:
80M - Inverted V @ 30Ft
40M -      "        "        "
20M - 2 Element HyGain Beam @ 30Ft
15M -       "            "          "            "
10M - 3 Element Cushcraft MonoBand Beam @40Ft

I averaged 70 QSO/Hr for the first 4 hour hours on 10/15M and then dropped
to 17/hr when I had to go to 20M, but that included 18 minutes in the VY1A
pile.  It could have taken longer, but when VY1A told the pile to QRX while
he put another log on the fire, I waited a few seconds and then said - W6KC
Standing By - in my most polite voice.  When he returned he gave me a call!

I was hoping to break my personal best from 1992 when I got 947 QSO's (which
included 473 QSO's on 10M), but I guess 10M still has a bit more improvement
to go.

In an attempt to improve my 40/80M results, Saturday morning I was still on
the roof at 2045 UTC trying to get my inverted V about 15 feet higher.  My
temporary PVC extension had just collapsed and I was just putting it back at
its previous lower height.  I just made it to the rig by the start of SS.

During the CW weekend I missed three Canadian sections (MB, MAR and NL) for
the sweep.  This weekend they all called me for a total of 11 QSO's.

I was great to get my 3rd sweep!  Now I can add a '98 mug to my '92 and '93
collection.  It's been a long dry spell.  The best new vanity call I worked:
WO8HIO (easy to guess the section if you can copy the call).

73,
Jim, W6KC

Can't wait till the next California QSO Party?  Share the adventure of the
W6KC Mono County Expeditions at http://www.vistasierra.com/home/hamadv.htm