[3830] WS7V SS SSB SO LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WS7V SS SSB SO LP
From: dg1999@3-cities.com (David)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:15:10 -0800
                        ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1998

      Call: WS7V                     Country: USA Section: EWA
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator Low Power

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS

      160        0        0        -
       80       68      136        -
       40       52      104        -
       20      249      498        -
       15      205      410        -
       10      315      630        -
     -----------------------------------

     Totals    889     1778       79

               Score:  140,462

Power Output: 100 watts     Hours of operation: 23.6
Equipment Description: TS440S; TH7DXX @ 50 FT; 40/80 DIPOLE @ 46 FT

This year's sweep was my first since 1992.  As usual, VO1, MAR, SK, VY1,
and SF were difficult to obtain (only one contact each for MAR, SK, and
SF).  Ten meters was open nicely at the start and I worked it until
2328z, then to fifteen until 2358z, and twenty until 0207z.  Propagation
into south-central Washington was interesting.  With the beam at 90 deg,
signals were loud from northeast VE to SFL in the east, and from VE4 to
STX in the midwest.  Even the west was clear off the sides of the beam
on fifteen and twenty and provided EB, NM, AZ, LAX, SCV, and SJV.  Ten
meter backscatter gave OR, WWA, and EWA.

On the 40/80 trap dipole it was ugly.  I heard some of the mountain
west, but little of California.  It's time to rebuild/re-orient the 80
meter wire, and at least put a 40 meter rotating dipole above the beam.

Tony
WS7V@contesting.com