[3830] K7ZO ARRL 10M SSB Only Low Power

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K7ZO ARRL 10M SSB Only Low Power
From: k7zo@micron.net (K7ZO)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 18:02:00 -0700
                         1998 ARRL TEN METER CONTEST

     Call used: K7Z0                                           Location: ID

     Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: SSB Only        Power: 150W

     Callsign of Operator: K7ZO

     Exchanged Information: K7Z0 59 ID

     Hours of Operation: 13:30

     band      QSOs      points    mults
     ===================================
     CW           0           0       0
     PH         878        1756      83  Cushcraft Ten-3 @ 20'
     ===================================
     TOTAL      878        1756      83      SCORE: 145,748

     Club or Team Name: Southwest Idaho Contest Club

Comments: Wow, was that fun! It is amazing what you can do with 100 watts
and
 a Cushcraft Ten-3 on a 20' push up mast tied off on your son's trampoline.
 Conditions were great. I am sure the top scores are going to be huge.
Some highlights from here:

* The rate meter peaked at 308 at one point Sunday afternoon. Several times
240+.
* Managed to work one European Sunday morning - CT/F6EPY. The path was just
barely open here in the northwest. Heard TM1C and and F5 something. That was
it.
* Huge numbers of NS and NF's on the air relative to Sweepstakes. Also, glad
have VE8EV call in Saturday. Missed Jay, was VY1A on?
* Many, many 59++ reports. Isn't 10M great when it is open? Plus, in
contesting
 I always remember to THINK LOUD. The propagation gods can tell the
difference you know.
* The band seemed shorter than I remember it in other contests. I worked a
huge
number of MO, IA, KS, and OK. Usually, the peak states from here are WI, IL,
IN.
 Though this is the first time I have used this antenna and it could have a
little
 shorter pattern from being relatively low.
* Managed to work some of the close in states Friday night through some sort
of path,
 backscatter and/or short skip. Never did hear SD, ND, or WY. Heard UT and
OR but
 could never get them to hear me.
* Many good mults called me: TG, 9V, DU, P2, and FK.
* Really glad to hear a number of young operators on the air. Always made
sure to go
 slow for them and give them a special thanks for the QSO.
* The non-contest window idea was a good start - though apparently many
people did not
 read the rules. I was surprised by the number of top operators who were in
the window.
 I know there were some problems with the LU Novice window falling in the
non-contest
 window, but I bet some solution can be found. I am sure the
point-counterpoint on the
 reflector will be wild.
* Also surprised by several top operators who seemed to feel they deserved a
totally
 clear segment +/- 3kc from them. I got chased off several times when
propagation
 changed and they could hear me in a sideband.  Maybe I am just more immune
to it from
 contesting here on the west coast at NK7U. When you try to run Europe on
20M in CQWW
 you learn to keep a rate up in the QRM.

Scott/K7ZO