[3830] WL7KY SOHP CW only ARRL 10M

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WL7KY SOHP CW only ARRL 10M
From: kl7fh@customcpu.com (Chris Hurlbut)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:04:58 -0900
              ARRL TEN METER CONTEST  1998

      Call: WL7KY                    Country:  Alaska
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator High Power

      MODE      QSO    QSO PTS  STATES  COUNTRIES

      CW       592     2376       55       26
      SSB        0        0        0        0

      Totals   592     2376       55       26  =   192,456

All reports sent were 599 AK , unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description:
TH7 @50'
1KW
Kenwood TS-570D(G)
CT v8.50

Well, for being my first 10m contest, it was FUN!  I got home from school
at 2330z on Friday, and turned the rig on to a crowded band.  I was psyched
to say the least.  I got on and did a little S&P, and then started to run.
As always, AK is a popular mult.  I could have ran stations until the band
died, but I was looking for new states and countries too. So I did a little
more S&P work.  Saturday morning I was supposed to be out snowmachining,
but the Park Service closed the area where I was gonna go to. ( It was open
earlier in the week though.)  SO I got home around 2030z, and worked some
more.  The pile ups were big at times!  After I got tired of running
stateside and SA, I turned the trusty HY-GAIN to the west, and worked two
JA's, and then XZ1N called me! I sure hope it was really them. I think it
was because I turned the antenna a little more north towards them, and they
got louder.  So I ran some JA's and worked a few other Asian countries.
That night I had intentions of staying up ALL  night to work the EU
opening.  Well, it never happened for me.  Maybe I went to bed too early,
but 2 AM is about my limit if I want to get up at a decent hour to work
some more.  Sunday was the best day.  I worked the one Section I missed in
SS too!  I only worked 8.6 hours, but managed to get all the states except
VT, WY, and SD.  I could have gotten SD if we didn't have interference
problems with the amp and the neighbor!  Oh well.  I had fun, now have WAS
on 10m, and several new countries.  Even though I have only worked 4
Europeans ever on 10m.  See you all next year. I had a BLAST!

Club Affiliation: None

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Chris Hurlbut  WL7KY
               2003 Roosevelt Dr.