[3830] K5MDX M/S ARRL 10 score/comments

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K5MDX M/S ARRL 10 score/comments
From: rocker@datasync.com (Ray Rocker)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:00:19 -0600 (CST)
K5MDX M/S ARRL 10m contest score     Section: Mississippi
Ops: WQ5L, W5UE, N5FG
Equipment: FT-1000 + Alpha amp, 3 el tribander at about 50'

Band    QSO    Pts    W/VE   DX
-------------------------------
10CW    734   2936     59    57
10SSB   933   1866     58    63
-------------------------------
Totals 1667   4802 * (117 + 120) == 1,138,074 points

Fewer QSOs than last year's 1806, more points due to more DX
of course. Saturday was much better than Sunday. We worked
mostly CW Saturday and finished the day with all 50 states
in the log. We spent most of Sunday working phone (yuck)
trying to beef up the mults on that side. DX was there
along with everything north of the border except VO2,
but five states eluded us to the end on phone:
SC, WV, NE, KS, OK. Downright frustrating, that was.

Why less QSOs than last year? Sporadic E just wasn't
there. From this area we need the Es to run those
QSO-rich areas of W4/W8/W9/W0. I'm sure one of the
propagation gurus can explain it; if the F layer
is strong enough to support DX, Es goes AWOL.
In my 10+ years of working this 'test it's always
been either-or.

To wit:

State   1997 Qs   1998 Qs  @ K5MDX
--------------------------
OH        125        19           <-- ouch!
MI         68        12
TX         66        23
IL         46        11
IN         39         5
VA         35        10
WV         20         3
KS         20         3

Bleh. But tempering the loss somewhat was W1:

MA         15        55
RI          7        14
NH          6        21
VT          3        15
ME          2        16

and of course lots more EU. But nothing can replace the
150+ hours of running Es, at least with this antenna.

Our log for this contest and all previous K5MDX contest
operations by our club are now online, searchable by
callsign, at http://www.mdxa.org/