[3830] OK1RI - ARRL 10m - SO/HP/SSB - UNassisted + comments - long.

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] OK1RI - ARRL 10m - SO/HP/SSB - UNassisted + comments - long.
From: jirka@jimaz.cz (Jiri Sanda)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:52:08 +-100
ARRL 10 METER CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: OK1RI                    Country:  Czech Republic
                                             Category: Single Operator / HP /
UN-assisted

      MODE      QSO    QSO PTS  STATES  COUNTRIES

      CW         0        0        0        0
      SSB     1381     2762       49      109

      Totals  1381     2762       49      109  =   436,396

All reports sent were 59.

Equipment Description:
IC775 + PPA 2 kW
ANT  - 6Y / 6Y / 6Y @ 12 / 20 / 28 m

BUT first director on the BOTTOM ANT was away and both first and second
directors on the TOP ANT was also away which had demolishing effect on the
performance of the system.

                             Signature __________Jiri_Sanda___

           MAILING ADDRESS:
               Jiri Sanda  OK1RI
               Diabasova 5
               Praha 5, CZ 15500

Comments:
I have known the ANTENNA is in bad shape but I have decided to run this one
this year since the 10m is finally COMING and I felt that there is still 15
elements somewhere in the air so a little bit of signal will go out..... I
decided to be only on SSB since the ANT seemed to be affected even more on CW -
there the SWR of the whole system was 3:1 - see post of W4AN on the huge effect
of even first director problem on the performance of the whole ANT.

It was interesting to read posts of some other Europeans both west of me
(G0AEV) and east of me (LY s...).
The propagation to JA was very strange, in Saturday the short pass opening was
marginal  - I could work only about 10 JA, but the long pass was much better -
some of the signals were really 59 +. First day together about 60 JA+HL. Second
day the short pass propagation was much better, the long pass was much later
and very marginal - only 4 QSOs - together again 60 JA+HL.
USA + Canada was about the same both days. Worked everything in the USA both
days up to W0 - only ND missing but out of W7 and VE4 and up.
In Saturday I worked 1 x OR in Sunday 1 x AZ + 2 x CA. I was mad listening to
S5, I, F, G etc.. to work west coast and have not heard a sound of them.
Also the USA - i.e. East coast pileups even during the best hours were sort of
marginal - best complete hour was only 136 QSO. I guess that it was this year
sort of second SS contest. All the NA stations were even in the best
opening-time to EU very busy trying to work each other - as is visible in the
results of the NA stations. But maybe my perception of this phenomena was
caused only by my wind-damaged antenna ?!?

SSB
North America   SSB  682    49.4
South America   SSB   81     5.9
Europe          SSB  386    28.0