[3830] NB1B ARRL 10M MS

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NB1B ARRL 10M MS
From: NB1B@aol.com (NB1B@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:07:36 EST
NB1B MS ARRL 10M Score
Ops:  NB1B, W1KM, KU4BP, N1TB
Hours: 28
State: Massachusetts

Mode            QSOs            Cntries         States
CW              1029                85             56           Missed
DC-PEI-NF-Lab-NWT-Yt
SB                      1068                88             57   Missed
PQ-PEI-Lab-NWT-YT
Total           2097               173            113
Claimed Score    1, 789,216

Equipment: IC765, Surplus Amp (1Kw out), 5 el @ 50 ft.

I've read a number of the comments on the 10M test this past weekend and
thought I'd add a few of my own.  Friday night started off with a lot of short
skip- stations weren't strong but they were fairly plentiful and easy to work.
Went to bed about 0300Z, figuring 10 might open to Europe as early as 1030Z
based on the CQWW openings.  I was quickly disappointed in that 10 didn't open
to Europe until 1130Z; YU1JW was first European in the log.  By 1200Z we had
our frequency staked out and proceeded to run mostly Europe at 120+ for the
next 4 hours.  You could almost tell where the greyline was, as first the
UA/UBs, then the YO/SPs, and finally the G/EAs faded out.  F5PSA was the last
euro in the log on Sat at 1729Z.  Then it was on to NA and SA, with the
occasional Oceania Q thrown in.  We were ready and waiting for a good JA run
Sat afternoon, but they simply weren't there.  Whatever kept the W6s from
working much Europe kept us from working much JA, i.e. we worked JA2ZJW on cw
and that was it for JAs on Sat.  By 0100Z, the band was closed up tight-
worked a few on backscatter but there were very few stations audible on the
band, so I went out for a pizza, watched some TV, and was asleep by 0300Z,
again anticipating a 1030Z Euro opening on Sunday.

Sunday started as did Saturday- the first Euro worked was another Yugoslavian
4N7BW at 1130Z.  By 1200Z we had staked out 28000.5 as ours, and spent the
next 4 hours working mostly Europe again at 100+ per hour.  The pileups
weren't quite as deep as Sat, and the rate was slightly less, but the fun was
still there.  The last European worked on Sunday was GW0UDJ at 1656Z.  Again
it was back to NA/SA and the occasional AF/Oceania Q.  Last state worked on
SSB was SC, last state worked on CW was Iowa.  Heard VY2SS in PEI on in both
modes, but couldn't crack the pileup; we were probably too close.  Never did
hear Lab, NWT or YT on either mode.  Sunday afternoon we were again ready for
a JA run that never happened; JH1AJT was pounding in on SSB but it seemed like
everyone in NA needed a JA mult on SSB and we couldn't crack the pileup.  We
did find JR3NZC with a weaker signal that was worked after several W6s
finished with him, so we did get the JA mult on SSB.  We also worked 7L2VYT on
CW, but those were the sum total of all the JAs we even heard this contest.
JA on 10M was so good just 2 weeks ago, it was hard to believe.

Continent Breakdown:
Cont            CW QSOs         SB QSOs
NA                          447                                 700
SA                            29                                  49
Eur                         553                       293
Asia                   7                                   4    JA, TA, 4L, 5B,
4X, JY,A4,UA9
Afr                          10                           12
3V,5H,5N,9J,A2,CT3,EA8, EA9,EL,TL,TZ,VQ
Oceania      12                                 18
FK,KH0,KH2,KH6,KH8,P2,T8,V7,VK,ZL

111 Different countries.

The icing on the cake was working VU2WAP on 80M Sat nite after 10M had closed.

If you worked us a need a QSL for any reason, send me one.  I always QSL 100%
to anyone who requests one (provided, of course, that you worked us).

All in all, we had a great time.  Looking forward to next year with a stack!
Thanks to all who worked us.

Dennis NB1B