[3830] W0AH/QRP: Stew Perry 160M Challenge

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W0AH/QRP: Stew Perry 160M Challenge
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 17:10:02 EST
                                 Stew Perry 160M Challenge

CALL: W0AH          EXCHANGE: DM78
CATEGORY: QRP    HOURS OPERATED: aprox. 22
CONTACT:  146       SCORE:   2,036      SOFTWARE:  NA
RIG:  FT-1000 AT 5 WATTS   WATTMETERS: OAK HILLS RESEARCH AND BIRD
ANTENNA:  90' TOP LOADED, SHUNT FED ROHN TOWER ON HILL WITH 48   200+  FOOT
RADIALS

This test is a wonderful tribute; I think Stew would have appreciated the the
scoring based on distance.  I wonder if we shouldn't all run 100 watts or less
during the Challenge, as Stew was limited to only 100 watts.  It's a very good
contest for LP and QRP, as most stations are digging for weak signals hoping
to work distant stations.
Conditions to Europe were slightly better than they'd been the last few days.
Several western Europeans, G, F, I, and EA6 had fairly good signals here in
Colorado.  I didn't expect to work them QRP (I've been trying for several
years to work Europe QRP-  someday!), but I called them anyway.  Also heard
KP2/WB9Z and a single JA. I didn't hear many New England stations and didn't
work any VE3. Only DX worked was KH7R who had a big signal.  Thanks.
I was able to work over 80% of the stations I heard, but I often had to call
many, many times.  There was rapid QSB much of the time.  You get a much
better feeling for the nuances of changing conditions running QRP than high
power.  I was surprised to be able to run stations occasionally with my CQ.
Thanks and see you in the CQ 160M tests.
Doug  W0AH