[3830] KA9FOX Sprint SSB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KA9FOX Sprint SSB
From: ka9fox@qth.com (Scott Neader KA9FOX)
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 13:41:21 -0600
KA9FOX Sprint SSB - High power (abt 600w w/AL-80)
Society of Midwest Contesters -  Team 1

20m  63
40m 101
80m  92
-------
256 x 45 = 11,520

Comments:

First contest from home with an amplifier (albeit a low power amp) and no
phone calls!

I have an AL-1200 sitting on the floor waiting for the UPS damage claim
check to arrive so I can get parts.  Not sure if 1500 watts would have made
any difference, but I did get beat out a number of times in the little pile
ups that occur when everybody first gets to the band, so perhaps it would
have helped in those instances.

Man, 20 sucked here (63 Qs) and the static on 80 was simply horrible (20
over 9 much of the time).  I heard similar comments about the static from
many others after the contest (even K4XS in Florida) so I don't think I was
alone.

Missed some normally non-rare mults like Alabama and Connecticut.

Looking forward to CW weekend!

Station:

Icom IC-765
Kenwood TS-930 (barely used 2nd radio this time)

72 foot self-supporting tower on small city lot
Force 12 C4XL (7 ele tribander + 2 ele 40 on same boom, 2 feedlines)
75m Inverted Vee

Logging: Pentium 133 and TR-Log

Inside shack:  http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/shack
Tower & Antennas: http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/tower

73 - Scott KA9FOX

INTERNET SOLUTIONS - Affordable web page design and hosting
Scott Neader (608)788-1234 / FAX (608)787-0100 / KA9FOX@QTH.com
3323 South 29th Street, La Crosse, WI  54601   / ICQ 12151451
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads:  http://www.QTH.com/Classifieds
KA9FOX Contesting & DXing Site: http://www.QTH.com/KA9FOX
Internet Solutions Home Page:   http://www.QTH.com/is