[3830] W1HIJ@WK6C ARRL CW DX Minimal M/S

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W1HIJ@WK6C ARRL CW DX Minimal M/S
From: W1HIJCW@aol.com (W1HIJCW@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 00:24:08 EST
Great contest!

Heartiest thanks to Carmine (WK6C) for the use of his fine station in Dana
Point, California, and to the family for great hospitality.

Started on 10 with a superb first hour to JA and the fun went uphill from
there. Effort was a minimalist M/S with only 2 operators, no mult station, and
no packet. We (K7GT and W1HIJ) put in about 40 hours all together and had a
real blast. Finished on 10 with the traditional 35 hour  :>)

Top occurence was stumbling on Chris (ZS6EZ) on 15 as he was telling a QRP'er.
"I'm QRP also", BEFORE HE WAS SPOTTED ON THE CLUSTER and then having to work
him barefoot because retuning the amp would have taken too long. (And I was
right, just after the QSO the mob descended,  calling whether they could hear
Chris or not).

No real negatives except for a couple of intentional interference situations.
Funny how those people with heavy hands on the high speed dit paddle never
understand about zerobeating. They could be so much more destructive if they
understood the principle   :>)

End results (Claimed):

                        QSO's           Mults
80                          31                      15
40                        364                       57
20                        112                       40
15                        417                       70
10                        217                       44

TOTAL   1142                       226  == 745,800

Our target compared with last years 400K effort (797/168) was to do between
1000 and 1200 Q's and top 500K.

Hmmm, now setting the goal gets harder!!!

Thanks for all the Q's.

73, Bill, W1HIJ
        Grant, K7GT