[3830] N8SM ARRL CW SOAB HP UA (all verticals)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N8SM ARRL CW SOAB HP UA (all verticals)
From: smiller@ticnet.com (Steve Miller)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:49:20 -0600
                 ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: N8SM (ex-WD8IXE)         Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator
      Time On: 16.3 hours                      Unassisted, High power

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80       24       72   3.0       18
       40      137      411   3.0       50
       20      176      528   3.0       60
       15      176      528   3.0       62
       10      193      579   3.0       60
     --------------------------------------

     Totals    706     2118   3.0      250  =   529,500

Equipment Description:
IC-765 + Dentron MLA-2800
Butternut HF2V (40 & 80), ground mounted
1/4 wave vertical (20), ground mounted
1/4 wave vertical (15), ground mounted
1/4 wave vertical (10), ground mounted

Had a lot of fun. Part time effort from the new QTH north of Dallas, TX with
temporary (wimpy) antennas. Had to go outside and swap antennas to change
bands.  Didn't CQ much, 98% hunt & pounce. Most high band operation was on
Sunday. Conditions were good enough I didn't feel puny weak but still a far cry
versus operating from the WX0B or K3LR multis. Hope to have real antennas next
time....

Highlights: Busting HZ, 5H, TZ, & EL piles fairly quickly. Fixing the RFI in
the home security alarm. No rotor problems (hi!).

Low spots: TCI cable QRM on 80 (Can't we do something about this?). Operating
all bands with ground mounted verticals. No 160 antenna.

Club Affiliation: North Texas Contest Club