[3830] K4IQ 160 SSB SOHP Unassisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4IQ 160 SSB SOHP Unassisted
From: jbmitch@vt.edu (John Mitchell)
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:47:42 -0500
                      CQ 160 METER CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: K4IQ                     VA  SOHP

             11 hours of operating time

               QSO   QSO PTS  STATES/COUNTRIES PTS

     Totals    503    1181      56   /   13    =   81,489

Club:  PVRC

All reports sent were 59 VA.

Equipment Description:     TS-870
                           Alpha 89
                           Inverted Vee @ 100 ft
                           3 Bev. ant., NE, NW, SW

Somehow scheduled the PVRC Chapter meeting for Friday nite, so didn't get in
until nearly 10PM Friday nite.  Surprise, there were no available
frequencies!  Went to the limit of my SWR, to 1910, and called CQ there
after walking up the band.  Some kind soul must have spotted me on pkt, as
rate climbed near 300 at one point.  Had best hour of 110 at 04Z.  All went
down hill from there, as conditions were even worse Sat. nite.  Also, XYL
returned from an eight-day trip at 7PM Sat., so missed three hours of "prime
time" fixing and eating big welcome home dinner.

Gave up at 2AM with the lower 48 plus DC in the bag, VE's 1-7, but no VO1,
etc., and 13 DX.  Best DX was probably 3V.  Highlight was being called by
GJ2D on my run freq. up high.  Also being called by ND and then two MT in a
row.  Lowlights were the constant noise which even beverages did little to
combat.

73 all -- John