[3830] WP3R ARRL DX CW SOHP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WP3R ARRL DX CW SOHP
From: ke3q@erols.com (Richard Boyd)
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 02:25:54 -0500
>From the WA3FET Puerto Rico site using WP3R's callsign, KE3Q op:

single op high power all band

4,832,592 points generated from 4,852 QSOs and 332 mults.

160    286    40
80       378    52
40       735    58
20        971    58
15        880     57
10        1602    59

Really found my first time as "DX" interesting in this one -- quite
different from CQWW, isn't it?  It's like SS except you have to spend time
on all the bands since you can work each station once per band (unlike SS,
which is once per contest, regardless of band) and you need all the mults on
each band.  At least this time, and maybe it's typical, you will tend to
miss VO2, VY1, and VE8 on all bands.  If you got a "sweep" on any band
that'd be 62.  So, 59 or 58 or 57 mults on a band is real good.  10 was the
only band where I got PEI, hence 59 on that band.  I missed Wyoming on 15,
hence 57 on that band.

Moving stations and setting up skeds was fun.

The guys were there working on getting commercial power installed Thursday
when I arrived but I knew it wouldn't be operational in time, so it was one
more time Field Day style on the generator.  That's okay...this will turn
into a fond memory in future years.  The trips to the nearest gas station
(15 minutes drive each way) with Angel (WP3R) in November had me
prepared...a couple trips to the gas station with the three 6-gallon cans in
the trunk of my rental Toyota Tercel were fun -- foregoing the air
conditioning in the car, I had the windows down so I could savor the musty
tropical smells of Puerto Rico.  I had to pause once to let a herd of dairy
cattle cross the road to the pasture on the other side.

Now, in the lead-up week to ARRL phone, DL2CC is in place getting the WX0B
Sixpak stuff all operational and WP3R will be on the air again bigtime with
Frank operating.

Back to ARRL CW...I decided to start on 10 to see if there was any rate
available and after a few minutes went to 15 before deciding to slide one
more band to 20  before settling in.  The minutes spent on 10 and 15 at the
start no doubt kept the first hour rate below 200 (188), because the next
hours were 243 and 218 (trusting my recollection).  Those were the best
hours of the contest, but at the end of day one I counted 14 hours of 100 or
more.

Another funny thing about being on the other side in this contest...you
don't (at least I didn't) hear the other DX stations much, because you're
busy CQing at pretty good rates with the W/VE stations coming to you.  The
second radio in future contests will be very helpful and will allow me/us to
know what the other DX stations are doing.  So I didn't even know P40W was
on -- though I wasn't surprised to hear him with the big score post-contest.
And from P43P's station instead of his own.  Interesting.

I had fun Monday morning climbing to the top of "Breakall Mountain" and
sitting there in a plastic chair watching the sun come up.  I shot another
roll of film, and thought about various things that could be done at the
station (swimming pool or at least hot tub would be nice, hi).  Being at the
top of the hill I thought of the excellent WP2Z station to the east with the
catchy and picturesque name, "Windwoods."  WP3R has wind too, particularly
at the top of the hill...neat updrafts when you stand at the edge of the
steep dropoffs on the SE, S, and SW sides.  Hmmm...wind...Breakall...I've
got it:  "Breakwind."
The new name of the WP3R/WA3FET contest site.

I really did have a good time being down there again, feel like I've
"bonded" with Puerto Rico and Jim and Angel's contest site....like visiting
an old friend.

A fun bonus:  KP3P and some of his multi-multi ops stopped by Sunday for a
visit.  With KP3P's own station storm damaged, they were scouting the WP3R
site for a possible multiop in WPX.

On (or near) 3830 afterward, K3RA and K3MM (as V26O @ V26B) and I agreed our
sites were good practice for Field Day, which is only a few months away
after all.  73 - Rich, KE3Q (and sometimes W3AO)