[3830] Fw: W6XR SOHP WNY ARRL PHONE 1999

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Fw: W6XR SOHP WNY ARRL PHONE 1999
From: force12e@lightlink.com (Natan Huffman)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:45:55 -0500
                        1999      ARRL DX SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 05-Mar-99, 06-Mar-99, 07-Mar-99

    Callsign Used : W6XR
         Operator : W6XR

         Category : SOABHP

 Default Exchange : 59-NY

    Section : WNY

     Hours : 32

             Name : Natan Huffman
          Address : 27 Hungerford Rd,
   City/State/Zip : Ithaca/NY/14850
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : Frankford Radio Club

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

  160SSB      13          13         39        11
   80SSB      55          55        165        34
   40SSB     143         143        429        61
   20SSB     531         530       1587       105
   15SSB     552         552       1656        84
   10SSB     256         256        768        77

 Totals     1550        1549       4644       372

    Final Score = 1727568 points.

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

 I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations established
 for amateur radio in my country.  My report is correct and true to the best
 of my knowledge.  I agree to be bound by the decisions of the Awards
 Committee.

 Date ______________   Signed _____________________________  Call___________

COMMENTARY:

Had every intention of doing my normal 2 op MS for this one, but a failure
in communication with Art N2AU was responsible for a lonely shack when 0000Z
rolled around.  Had not really prepared myself or even evaluated myself to
decide if I could even do a single op, but after a discussion with my wife,
she suggested that I do it and gave her support completey.  This contest was
to be an opportunity to evaluate my recovery and to prove to myself that I
could "play" contest again on my own.  My love has always been SOHP, and
that remains my long term goal!

Shortly before the start, I grabbed my buddy, Sadie D. Dachschund Dogge and
just went at it.  Outside, the blizzard was howling, the temp was dropping
and the wind was gusting to 82 mph.  The precipitation/wind static masked
anything below S-9 on the low bands, so as the hour approached midnight
locally, I went to sleep with the expectation that this effort was going to
be a bust.  Was unable to hear anything on 160 even on the Ewe's!

Awoke next morning, well rested, and grabbed Sadie as I went to the
basement.  The view of a complete contesting ham shack with everything
turned on, faint "radio" odors subtely wafting about, has always sent a most
seductive message to me.  Each amplifier droned on, containg within the
sound of its fans the message that battle was to be done.  This morning was
no different as that presentation gave me the resolve to be as serious as I
could be!

Started around 1300Znd for some reason the static/noise was down
significantly even though the snow continued.  Worked all I could hear on
the low bands and went to 15 as it was just opening up.  Spent the morning
on 20/15/10 running and had success, limited by my inability to get the
calls into the computer.  The high bands just did not sound right at all,
even though they were behaving somewhat normally.  Running Eu. on 10 yielded
a long list of I's and southern Europe, interspersed with an
arctic/Scandanavian QSO.  I cursed the person who ever came up with the
"last 2" letters of call recognition.  Those who call with 2 letters only
slow things down considerably!  The night before, I observed stations on 40
listening on 7299 kHz .  Suspect the originator of the 2 letter issue and
that person are one and the same.

The day continued and was uneventfull and even included my nap at 1800 Z.
Worked hard until 0500 Z when the support staff decided it was time to
sleep, a suggestion I agreed to immediately!  Before making Z's, I made a
mental note that 20 was still open, an indication that thing may be amiss!

Sunday morning started around 1110Z and my previous intuition proved to be
correct.  Just was not able to get good runs going on 20 and tried as I did,
the band did not cooperate.  During the 1300Z hour a most interesting
phenomenom took place.  As I continued to try to run on 20, with assurances
from Eu that I had a clear frequency, the continent of Europe simply
disappeared for me.  My CQ's were replaced by endless Asian stations
including JA, 9M, BY, V96, etc.  No Eu. for 17 minutes, but a buzzing
cauldron of JA's and others!  Suddenly, as if a switch were thrown, Europe
appeared once again.  The Asian signals were peaking around 60 degrees and
were barely audible if I turned the array 180 degrees.  Any ideas?   Would
love to "program" my antennas to null a certain part of the globe.  So much
for disturbed conditions.

Ten meters was worthless on Sunday and I made few Q's on that band.  15 can
only be described as a band that wanted to, but just couldn't.  20 was my
workhorse band on Sunday.  Enjoyed playing in the 14150 to 14200 band
segment.

Thanks to the 8 stations who were 6 banders for me.   Also thanks to Tom,
N4XP/V2 who persisted in getting through while I was running Eu. on 20, and
finally I wish to thank all who worked me!  The amount of DX participation
is just great.

My experiment to see what could be done given the circumstances was an
unqualified success!   My plans include major summertime antenna/radio
improvements which will hopefully enable my station to be more competitive
and usable..  Art and I will do the WPX and after that, things -- changes
begin.

73,

Natan

W6XR is:

160 -------ground mounted 1/4 wave with elevated radials

80--------- rotatable dipole at 72'

40---------2 el at 80'

20/15/10 -- stacked C3s....one at 72' the other at  36'

10 ---------4 el at 85' (seldom used)

Yaesu FT 1000MP, Alpha 86

Yaesu FT-920 Alpha 374