[3830] CQ WPX SSB: W0AH M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ WPX SSB: W0AH M/S HP
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 21:57:03 EST

CALL          Q's          PREFIXES          SCORE           OPERATORS
W0AH       2239                793            4,203,793    Doug, W0AH and Ken,
W0ETT
BAND BREAKDOWN-   160M-  17 Q's   using 90' vert.    hilltop 100'+  HAAT
                              80M-  144 Q's using Hytower
                              40M-  196 Q's using 2 el CC at 49'
                              20M-  568 Q's using KT34XA at 41'
                              15M-  722 Q's using KT34XA at 41'
                              10M-  592 Q's using KT34XA at 41'
EQUIPMENT BREAKDOWN-   The Titan amp at 1 KW didn't like being hooked up to
the FT-1000 and refused to operate several times both days, usually for only a
few minutes at a time.
 RF got into the phone line so we couldn't use DX Monitor and operated
"unassisted."   Just one radio, too.
 The CC 2 el 40M beam works better at the low end where it is resonant
 On Sunday 40 MPH winds tested the Yaesu rotor.  It passed.
OPERATOR BREAKDOWN-  Ken and I lay claim to having the oldest average M/S
operator age of 58 years.  Any challengers?
I operated the first 3 hours on 10 and 15 with a big Q-rate then loaded the CC
40M beam up on 20M and handed the mic to Ken.  The Q-rate plummetted until he
realized 30 minutes later...
Ken ran a few stations on 21.189 until he realized he wasn't on 20M.  Please
send OO cards to CB address and use LARGE PRINT!
CELEBRATION:  Our goal was 1999 Q's which we exceeded by late Sunday morning
so what did we do?  We left the rig and (with my wife) went out to a high fat,
high cholesterol, high calorie buffet breakfast.
Culture shock:  After operating AB QRP three weeks ago in the ARRL test it was
unsettling to actually have stations answer me!
NEXT YEAR: We both had so much fun that we plan on antenna improvements and
upping our goal to 2000 Q's before the big breakfast.
73 from W0AH ex-W2CRS, K1UGQ, W3IFA, KN8BAJ   central Colorado
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/COHOLIDAY/holiday.html";>Colorado Vacation?
</A>