[3830] WD4AHZ WPX SOAB T/S LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WD4AHZ WPX SOAB T/S LP
From: Ron Wetjen <wd4ahz@arrl.net> (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 05:35:36 +0000
                            CQ WPX CONTEST

Call used: WD4AHZ                                       Location: SFL

Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: CW              Power: 100W
          Tribander/Single Element

Callsign of Operator: WD4AHZ

Exchanged Information: WD4AHZ RST nr

Hours of Operation: 36:00

band      QSOs     points
-------------------------
160          0          0
 80          0          0
 40         37        139
 20        513       1300
 15        663       1725
 10        204        397
-------------------------
TOTAL     1417       3561   X   540 multipliers  =  1,922,940

Club or Team Name: Florida Contest Group

Equipment: Kenwood TS-930S
           Cuschcraft A4 @ 37'
           Center Fed Zepp @ 35'

Comments: Had visitors in town and a Birthday Party/BBQ Friday night.
After the guests left, started playing (at 0515Z).  Listened to 10
Meters from time to time on Saturday, but never heard the great opening
like on 20 or 15.  Late Saturday, managed a small European run.  Hoped
for a better showing on Sunday -- but it never did happen.  Seemed the
band was open and most everyone was calling CQ and not too many guys
answering (or they were all on 20 or 15, and never bothered to check
10!).  As everyone else mentioned, great conditions on 20 and 15.
Having not much of an antenna for the low bands, I didn't spend much
time there.  Other comments suggest, maybe I didn't miss much.  After a
long drought here in Florida, the thunderstorms decided to return Sunday
afternoon, so was off the air a few minutes waiting for the storms to
pass.  Sorry for the difficult copy on my end at that time ... that was
the reason ... and hurt my chance at 2 million points!.  Also had the
obligatory guys park within my passband, and start calling CQ.  It
always amazes me that a 20 over signal can't hear me well enough to tell
the frequency is/has been in use.  Worked 2 all time new countries - YK
and E4!  Haven't worked a new country in a contest in a long time, so
that was a nice bonus!

1417 QSO's is my pesonal best.  Pre "1 point QSO" T/S LP record is
1,363,672.  Passed that score by a good margin.  Suspect many new
records set this year.

73, Ron

--
WD4AHZ Homepage - http://www.qsl.net/wd4ahz/index.html