[3830] WK6LA (K6LA, op) SOHPAB Unassisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WK6LA (K6LA, op) SOHPAB Unassisted
From: Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net (Ken Widelitz)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:04:59 -0700

     Call used: WK6LA                                        Location:
CA

    Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: CW              Power: 1500

     Callsign of Operator:

   Hours of Operation: 35:59

     band      QSOs     points

     160          0              0
       80          5            18
      40        273       1100
      20      1168       2912
      15        798       1900
      10           70        158

     TOTAL     2314       6088   X   743 multipliers  =  4,523,384

     Club or Team Name: SCCC

      Comments:

      Item                            1998
1999

     6 point QSOs               356   (23%)                       156  (7%)
     USA  QSOs                 503   (33%)                       634  (27%)
     40 Meter QSOs             31%                                  12%
     ASIA QSOs                  33%                                   24%
     EU QSOs                      19%                                   38%
     NA QSOs                      38%                                   31%

    Conclusions:  One point for in country QSOs did not make WPX into a USA
QSO party as the % of US QSOs was down.
                          However, it did make for more fun, filling in the
slower times.

                          This is the first DX contest ever that I made more
EU QSOs than JA QSOs!!!

                           40 meters was open to JA 0800 - 1400, but all the
activity was on 20 & 15.
                           C'mon guys, it makes sense to go for the double
points.

                           From here, I didn't perceive 15 to be open all
night. 20 was open all night.

                          Heavy local QRN on 15 Sunday morning really
screwed me up. I moved the beam, but I should have
                           moved it till the QRN was minimized and kept
running EU. Instead I took an offtime hoping it would get
                            better but it didn't.

                            OK1 was the #1 prefix here also.

                           I used to think this was a "joker's wild" kind of
contest because of mults being prefixes. I've come to
                           understand it is more than that. With great
propagation, WPX is much more fun and involves more
                           strategy than I used to think was required for
this one.

73, Ken, K6LA (Ken Six Los Angeles)
WK6LA (West Los Angeles Contest Club)
K6LA@GTEMAIL.NET

     I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations for
     amateur radio  in my country.  My report  is correct and true to the
     best of my knowledge.  I agree  to be bound by  the decisions of the
     CQ Awards Committee.

     Name: Kenneth Widelitz                Call: K6LA
           10519 Lauriston Ave.
           Los Angeles, CA  90064