[3830] K8JP 99 WPX CW Summary

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K8JP 99 WPX CW Summary
From: v31jp@logical123.net (v31jp@logical123.net)
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 12:13:38 -0500
                              CQ WPX SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 29-May-99, 30-May-99

    Callsign Used : K8JP
         Operator : K8JP

         Category : SOABHP

             Name : Joseph L. Pontek, Sr.
          Address : 26441 Devaney Road
   City/State/Zip : Arcadia, IN 46030-9532
          Country : United States

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Prefixes

  160CW        4           4         15        2  Inverted "L"
   80CW       18          18         44        4  Inverted "V" @ 75'
   40CW       97          97        309       63  Inverted "V" @ 75'
   20CW      739         737       1935      288  204BA @ 82'
   15CW      465         465       1195      213  4 Ele. @ 50'
   10CW       60          60        128       38  4 Ele. @ 76'

 Totals     1383        1381       3626      608

    Final Score = 2204608 points.

 Equipment: FT-1000MP, AL-1200, 386-DX40
 Software: TR 6.40

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

 This was my first WPX of any seriousness. New experience and I had
 to learn some new strategies. I had some good runs and some good
 S&P's. After two surgeries on my left shoulder, it let me know it
 did not like sitting up there tuning the radio a lot. This did
 increase the fatigue and I only put in 30 hours and 24 minutes.
 Highlight was working HC8N all bands, low light was having sparks
 fly around the shack Sunday afternoon from a storm and a fast shut
 down and exit followed. That was half of an hour lost. Also, I
 started to smell something burning Sunday around noon when ever I
 was transmitting on 15 meters. It quit when I powered down the
 amplifier. I thought something was going in the amplifier. But,
 after I checked it out, I discovered my 2 meter packet radio was
 giving out the odor. I was not using it, so I powered it down and
 disconnected the antenna. Something to check out this week.
 Conditions on 20 and 15 meters were great. 160 and 80 were very
 noisy and activity was very low. 40 meters seemed good, but the
 activity was probably kept low by 15 and 20 meters being open all
 night. 10 meters never showed up. I worked some Europe by backscatter
 on 15 meters, beaming about 105 degrees on Sunday. I missed the
 tribander I took to Belize. It would have been nice to have it
 for quick direction changes.

 This is to certify that in the contest I have operated my transmitter
within
 the limitations of my license and have observed fully the rules and
 regulations of the contest.

 Date JUN 99 Signed Joseph L. Pontek, Sr. Call K8JP (A 23 year old
vanity call)

--