[3830] N5XM Field Day 2E Low Power

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N5XM Field Day 2E Low Power
From: Steve Gibbs" <k5oy@alltel.net (Steve Gibbs)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 00:20:01 -0500
DAY

     Call used: N5XM  (@N5ZS)    Location: AR

     Category: 2E             Mode: CW & SSB            Power: 100W

     Callsign of Operator: AB5SE, K5OY, N5XM, N5ZS, NN5NN.

     Exchanged Information: N5XM 2E AR

     Operators: N5XM, NN5NN, N5ZS, AB5SE, K5OY

     Hours of Operation: 24

                   CW         CW       SSB       SSB
     band      QSOs       pts       QSOs      pts
     160          0            0             0          0
      80           0            0             0          0
      40          174        696        181       362
      30           0            0             0          0
      20          491       1964        771      1542
      17           0            0             0          0
      15         308        1232        737      1474
      12            0           0              0          0
      10          49         196          150      300
     TOTAL  1022     4088       1839      3678     SCORE:   7,766

     Club or Team Name:  Ozark Contest Club

It was a good two days for the people who made this a very
enjoyable Field Day experience.  Minor bugs were worked out
quickly and were, mainly, the result of not thinking about
certain aspects of the setup.  We had some problems with
the logging computers.  One just wouldn't work.  The time
honored solution was used.  Turn it off and let it reboot.
No problems for the rest of the show.  Another computer
presented us with a unique problem, although many of you
have probably seen this is the past.  We received a message
from our logging software that we had reached our QSO
limit.  We have never reached a QSO limit before!!!
Welling with pride, yet nervous in our immediate future, we
pressed a laptop into service that had the same software on
its hardrive.  A quick SAVELOG from the other computer,
a quick load onto the laptop, a quick replugging of the network
cable and we were back in business.  One other note involving a
lesson that should not have been learned at the site.  Never, ever,
EVER grab the leads of a ladder line when your rig is keyed up.
No sir. Just don't do it.  I know I will never do that again!!!

And, one final note.  I was thrilled by a response to one of
my CQs.  Jim, KM0X, was operating MM outside of New
York.  When I typed in his call, I about fell out of my chair.
Like me, many of you have probably been entertained by
this gentleman over the years.  He ran an overnight talk show for
people who don't like talk shows for almost three decades.
As a fan, I enjoyed his years of entertainment.  As a broadcaster myself,
I admired his talent and style.  As a ham radio operator, I appreciated
his time in chatting with me for a moment in what turned out to be a very
pleasant QSO.  One I will always remember.  It reminded me there
are very good people in this hobby and that each QSO is a new
and wonderful experience.

One last note and then I close this long winded note.  I really
enjoyed hearing the young voices coming back to my CQs for
what could be their first contacts.  It is really great to hear an
older voice in the background coaching the  new
op.  I hope to hear these fledgling hams many times in  the future.

Field Day if just a good experience.

Thanks to all and 73
steve
K5OY