[3830] W6EEN (N6RT op) WAE CW SOHP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W6EEN (N6RT op) WAE CW SOHP
From: dab@home.com (Doug Brandon)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 00:04:54 -0700

                  DARC WORKED ALL EUROPE CONTEST -- 1999

       Call: W6EEN (N6RT op.)         Country:  United States
       Mode: CW                       Category: Single Op

      BAND     QSO   QTC    Cty   Mult

       160       0     0      0      0
        80       0     0      0      0
        40      67    67     27     81
        20     472   472     40     80
        15     512   511     40     80
        10       9     9      7     14

     Totals   1060  1059    114    255 = 540,345

Off times: 0732Z - 1317Z  (05:45)
            0821Z - 1320Z  (04:59)
            Quit at 1900Z

Operating time: 32 hours, 15 minutes

All reports sent were 599 #, unless otherwise noted.

Club Affiliation: Southern California Contest Club (SCCC)

I was not going to operate this contest originally, but I was talked into
participating in a friendly three-way competition between myself operating
at W6EEN (top-notch 2-radio station and super antennas located in the
city), AD6DO at W6BA (great multi/multi station in a very quiet remote
desert QTH), and N6AW at W6KP (good station on a great quiet hilltop QTH).

A unique thing about this contest is that both myself and Dan AD6DO were
logged into my #CQDX chat room (info at http://dx.qsl.net/cqdx) where we
both grabbed spots and chatted during the entire contest.  We exchanged
problems (blown amps, stuck rotators, QRM, noise problems, etc.),
excitement over nice mults calling in, compared rates, and most importantly
compared scores and QSO and mult counts often.  It was really fun!  It was
amazing how big point deficits would always get erased, and the lead was
constantly going back and forth.  Maybe I'll post the entire transcript to
my web page one of these days.

Sunday morning came and I was about 10k ahead of Dan at one point.  I was
even happier when he overslept and woke up about an hour late!  But as
usual, he caught up and we were dead even at around 520k late Sunday
morning.  Then 10 meters opened!  Every few minutes we compared 10m
numbers.  Once 10m had closed, Dan managed to work about 6 more multipliers
than me.  The extremely quiet desert QTH allowed him to work those weak 339
and 449 multipliers, while the low but ambient noise of my city QTH
prevented me from hearing those REALLY weak signals.  After the 10m
opening, I was sitting at 540k and he was at 570k.  It would be almost
impossible for me to catch him now.  10m had closed, and sigs were not very
strong on 15m and 20m and we had pretty much already worked everybody, so I
decided to pull the plug at 1900z and beat the traffic back home.

As always, thanks to Don W6EEN and his XYL for taking great care of me.

    73 de Doug, N6RT

   Doug Brandon       http://members.home.com/dab         dab@home.com