[3830] KL7/WD4AHZ NAQP CW

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KL7/WD4AHZ NAQP CW
From: Ron Wetjen <wd4ahz@arrl.net> (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:13:46 +0000
                       NCJ NORTH AMERICAN QSO PARTY

Call used: KL7/WD4AHZ                                     Location: AK

Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: CW              Power: 100W

Callsign of Operator: WD4AHZ

Exchanged Information: KL7/WD4AHZ RON AK

Hours of Operation: 07:00

band      QSOs      points    mults
-----------------------------------
160          0           0       0
 80          0           0       0
 40          0           0       0
 20         28          28      16
 15          5           5       4
 10          1           1       1
-----------------------------------
TOTAL       34          34      21      SCORE: 714

Club or Team Name: Florida Contest Group #1

Comments:  NAQP coincided with my visit to Dennis, WL7WN, in Eagle
River, Alaska.  (Actually, I planned it that way!)  Wanted to try
contesting from another part of the world, so I set up his R-7 vertical
and TS-450S to give NAQP a shot.

Not sure if it was lousy conditions or the Chugach Mountain Range behind
the house ... but most signals were very weak and hard to work.  There
were actually some times where no signals were heard at all!  I don't
know if that's typical conditions for our friends in KL7 and VE8, but it
sure was a struggle.  Congrats to those who could pull me out,
especially those on the East Coast!  When the West Coast folks turned
their antennas towards KL7, they were strong and easy to work.

Frustration eventually set in, so I called it quits early, packed up the
gear, and went on to enjoy the rest of my vacation.

Sorry about the late post.  Returned two days ago, and spent most of
that time trying to get my computer up and running ... it crashed while
I was away!

Thanks to Dennis, WL7WN, for letting me "borrow" his gear, and his wife
Melissa, for putting up with these "weird" radio people and our toys!

73, Ron

--
One of the W1AW/4 Crew - IARU/WRTC-2000

WD4AHZ Homepage - http://www.qsl.net/wd4ahz