[3830] N0AH NAQ SSB WY

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N0AH NAQ SSB WY
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:42:59 EDT
N0AH
Paul
Wyoming

missed AK, NE and WY????? humph- no excuses for WY and NE....I just ignored
40 meters and I should have been more aggresive looking there- but I was
flustered by the downtimes due to wx- blah-

I worked Quebec, BC, ON, Manatoba, Alberta, and had three DX stations call
including Z3, PA and G.......but no other NA stations........an XE would have
been nice-

Band        Mults     QSO's
10             1             1          6 ele log P
15              2            2          6 ele log P
20             39         287        6 ele Log P
40             16           23         Butternut V and wire quad at dirt
level, hi
80              31           81        4 square
160            19           28         Inv L

totals        108           422           45,576

Tried to give WY out but only operated 6.6 hours due to dumb mistakes and
wx-.

Thunderstorms really tainted the entire contest including two lighting hits
"darn" close- I sat out a few hours and just sulked-  When on, I had some run
rates at 120 an hour on 20 meters for a bit, I was smoking!  - was fun while
it lasted-

I guess I was one of those rare western states that didnt always move to
other bands when requested.....but I really wanted to take advantage of the
wx breaks and test out my new 4 square on 80 meters-  trying to operate while
monitoring color radar was a bummer- so please excuse my excuses-(Huh??)

A few interesting notes:

I worked 49 CA on 20 meters but only found 1 contact with CA on 40, 80 and
160- wierd but true-

MFJ continues to frustrate me- my most recent piece of garbage from them, a
MFJ-432 memory keyer with a whomping 8 hours of operating time on it- , puts
out a great audio signal with ample RF feedback to distroy what ever is being
said-  well, at least they got the memory problems fixed- but they still
can't seem to make anything that works-  curse em! Har!

Talk about timing.......I had a chance to get more Q's on 10 and 15 meters
early on but decided to sit out the first 2 hours so I could operate the last
10 hours to take advantage of the lowbands-  ....at noon, sky's were clear,
by 2 pm., it was lightning and thunderstorms and 10 and 15 were
dead.....smart move, eh?

N2IC came up around 2 p.m. and stayed throughout the rain...we both got a
good education on static noise effects on my various antenna's......Steve
came up to see the 4 square and by the time he left, sky's were clear and the
birds were singing and 10 and 15 were even more dead-  but we enjoyed
discussing TV VHF DX and Steve got our tv working to finally pick up UHF-
Awsome man!  We can now watch the Bronco's.......Peggy is baking him a pie-

Once I finally got started, my plans for a big score seemed possibleafter an
hour making good runs on 20 meters, but then Zues decideds to throw a party
for all his friends- static crashes heard with radio off- you get the idea-

4 Square worked great ... it heard better than the beverages and that was a
surprise considering the wx-

N4VI was the only station I worked on 10 meters, backscatter, on 10 meters-
thx Chris!   worked Chris on 15, and he moved us to 10......got him later 80
too-

W0AH and I ran into each other and had a nice QSO on 80 meters for a bit-
thats the nice thing about a contest....you run into people you have been
wanting to talk too but just can't seem to hook up with-

The 80 meter 4 square tested out pretty good and 160 meters was a lot busier
than any recent ARRL sweepstakes contests- I really enjoyed the NAQ and hope
that I can be better prepared for next year's......like having software that
has the NAQ, having a computer that does not generate S-9 noise,  having all
my bevg's working, and having a real voice keyer that
works.......etc......but all things considered, this was a fun contest!

Lots to do before the season starts-   73  paul   N0AH