[3830] W2UP CQWW RTTY single op assisted score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W2UP CQWW RTTY single op assisted score
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:46:11 -0000
1999
CQ World-Wide RTTY DX Contest

CALL: W2UP                     Country, State, or VE Area if
applicable  PA

       Single Op. Assisted (all band only)

      QSOs Points Zones DX: States Multipliers Score
80m:   117  235    11   31   35
40m:   307  673    22   62   44
20m:   508 1298    30   81   46
15m:   620 1606    32   86   44
10m:   375 1030    25   70   30
Tot:  1927 4842   118  330  199        649     3,142,458 (new world
record, so far)

Station Description: FT-1000D/Acom 2000A, FT-990/Alpha 77Dx
Antenna(s): 80 - 3 el sloper array
            40 - 2 el Yagi @ 86 ft
         20-10 - Phased TH-7s at 40/76 ft, TH7 at 22 ft (one tower)

Remarks (Biggest thrill in Contest, funniest story, comments, etc.):

This was my first, full bore, 2 radio effort in RTTY. Don't know how
I've done without the second radio in the past. No time to watch TV
or read the newspaper while RTTY contesting any more! Last year I
did use the second radio, but the antenna was a multi-band
vertical, and it just didn't perform. I added a third TH-7 to the tower
2 weeks ago. Despite being at only 22 ft, it worked well! I think my
76 ft tower is now maxed out with a 2 el 40 and 3 TH7s.

As already said by many, great (high band) condx. I found 40 and,
especially 80 disappointing, but I think it's because I'm comparing
it to contests during winter when those bands really shine. I just
couldn't get any decent runs going there.  I stayed up for EU
sunrise Friday night, but it really wasn't worth it. I got nervous
talking to Rick, KI1G, on Saturday night, when he said he would
stay up for EU sunrise, and I didn't plan to. The band was a little
better on Saturday. Speaking of breaks I had to take a 2 hour
break Satuday afternoon to go to an awards presentation with my
daughter (fortunately, it was during the afternoon doldrums), and
also took a 30 minute swimming break Sunday afternoon - it was a
beautiful weekend, and probably the last swimming day of the
season in these parts. It was very refreshing - the shack was
getting pretty warm with 2 amps going.

Great to hear the bands open to Asia, and it was a real thrill to
work JA on 4 bands.  I had to resist the urge to "DX" on 15, and
kept reminding myself a second 4F1 is the same as another JA or
3 W6s.  I believe I worked about 30-40 stations on all 5 bands.
Rates were incredible at times. My best hour was 97 at 1200Z
Saturday (mostly 15m), and the 4 hour stretch from 1100-1500Z
produced 350 QSOs! Only negative comment is the number of
dupes.  I logged 57 dupes, and there were more, but I did not log
anyone a third time. A big thanks to all the guys that QSYed
bands for the mults.

73 Barry W2UP

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com