[3830] VY1DX summary and soapbox

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] VY1DX summary and soapbox
From: andrew.faber@gte.net (Andrew Faber)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 21:54:07 -0700
1999 California QSO Party Summary Sheet

Callsign Used : VY1DX
Operators : AE6Y, AA6VB
Category : Multi-Single
Default Exchange : # NWT

                Valid QSOs             Points
    Band      CW/SSB    Total   CW/SSB    Total    Mults

     10        39/163    202    117/326    443       1
     15        68/183    251    204/366    570      29
     20        68/102    170    204/204    408      28
     40        28/24     52      84/48     132      --
     80        --/--     --      --/--      --      --
   Totals     203/472    675    609/944   1553      58

Final Score =  90,074
Operating Time =  21:55

Rig : TS570D, AL80A Amp
Software: CQPWIN 7.0 on an IBM Thinkpad
Antennas : TH6DXX at 60 feet, 40m delta loop

Soapbox : This was a mini dxpedition by AE6Y and AA6VB to the Yukon to put
VY1 on the air.  Operation was from the Yukon Amateur Radio Assn Club
station, using AE6Y's rig, AA6VB's computer, and VY1JA's amp.  We had a
great time overall, but were hampered by aurora that wiped out 80 completely
and made 40 almost unusable.  Ten was barely open on Saturday, but did
nicely for us on Sunday. It was frustrating to be consistently beat out by
lower 48 stations when answering CQ's, except for CQ'ers with verticals, hi.

     Three things California stations could do to make the contest more
enjoyable for guys in the far North:  occasionally turn your beams that way,
use more CW, and answer more CQ's.  We had the same expereince that WL7KY
reported-- in spite of usually having a good signal, very few of our cq's
were answered.  Virtually never did we get an answer on CW, and the only
time the hourly rate got above 50 were two hours on 10 on Sunday afternoon,
when we  were answered almost exclusively by little guns and mobiles.

     Funny moments included working a bunch of mobiles who were all in the
same parking lot comparing signals, and the mobile who gave us counties from
both sides of the divide on the Bay Bridge.

     Good guy award goes to N6BT for driving all the way up to Sierra County
after repeated importunings to put that rare one on the air (he gave us #1
from Sierra).  Thanks, Tom.  Many thanks also for the hospitality of Jay,
VY1JA, and the YARA (especially Ron, VY1RM, its president).