[3830] W1ZT BARTG RTTY SOABHP Class 2

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W1ZT BARTG RTTY SOABHP Class 2
From: w1zt@arrl.net (George Johnson)
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 22:39:45 -0400
BARTG RTTY Sprint

SoapBox:
Lots of fun and another opportunity to find all the bugs in my equipment
and operating technique!!  Conditions were good here but not as good as
CQWW.  Heard only one JA on RTTY (20m) but lots on 40m CW on our Sunday
morning.  20m suddenly closed here to Europe for about 45 minutes at
0915 and VK4UC became very loud for about a half hour.  It all reversed
again by 1000 UTC when the European signals came back again.  Very
dramatic for 20m.  No other Pacific heard at that time here in W1 land.
My thanks to the sponsors and all the participants for making this a fun
contest.  This was my first effort in this contest and quite a challenge
to decode the serial numbers (as letters).

Highlights:
*9K/ was a new one for me.  Stopped contesting and back to Dxing when I
heard him!!

*My QSO total reflects fewer operator errors with the software control
of WF1B and RITTY.  Love that weak signal decoding; hate it when a
strong signal traps my AGC when VK6WR called.  Never did work him.
Lowlights:
*Replaced a burned bias switch in the amp with the original relay
contact an hour before the contest.  Watched and cringed each time the
relay 'hot switched' all during the contest.  The blue plasma arc in the
Tune capacitor would extinguish when I ran under 200 watts!  Need to get
that fixed for next week!!

Call used: W1ZT
Location:  MA

Entry Class: Single Op, All Band, Class 2

Band    QSOs   Pts  Dist*   DX* Cont*
80        22    22     -     -     -    Inv Vee @ 60 ft
40        86    86     -     -     -    Rotary Dipole - Force 12 C4
20       205   205     -     -     -    2 element yagi  Force 12 C4
15       168   168     -     -     -    "
10       124   123     -     -     -    "
-----   ----  ----  ----  ----  ----
Total    605   604    18    57     6
--------------------------------------
* - Counted only once (not once per band)

Claimed Score: 271800

Software: RTTY by WF1B  v4.4f
          RITTY by K6STI  v3.06

Equipment: Icom 765 + SB 220