[3830] CQWW SSB N6AW Multi-Multi HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N6AW Multi-Multi HP
From: w6rw@earthlink.net (w6rw@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:46:30 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - SSB

Call: N6AW
Operator(s): N6AW, W6KP, AD6DO, N6RT, N6WS, W6TK, K6AM, W6KK,  W6HT, K6HMS,
N6KI AND W6RW
Station: W6KP

Class: Multi-Multi HP
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:     28      8      8
   80:    127     17     41
   40:    504     31     91
   20:   1050     38    142
   15:   1478     37    139
   10:   1411     37    153
-------------------------------
Total:   4598    168    574  =  9,293,550

Comments:

The N6AW team had always operated at Bill Adams' (W6BA) 40 acre QTH in
Twentynine Palms, CA in the past. This year Bill was real sick and his family
was staying at his house with him. We didn't feel comfortable under those
circumstances, so one week before the contest Jan (N6AW) and Skip (K6HMS) moved
all of the amps, cables, filters and all of the other stuff needed for a
multi-multi effort to W6KP's QTH in Anza, CA. On Saturday during the contest,
we received word from Bill's family that he had passed away on Friday about an
hour before the contest started. Bill was 90 years old and had been a licensed
radio amateur for 75 years. Jan Perkins (N6AW) and I had been going out to
Bill's QTH since 1968 to operate in contests over the years. Bill loved ham
radio, DXing and in particular contesting. He spent the last 35 years of his
life doing what many of us dream about....he was retired on a 40 acre antenna
farm that had incredible shots to both Europe and Japan.

We decided to dedicate our scores for both this years' CQWW SSB and CW contests
to the memory of Bill Adams, W6BA.

We think that things went rather good for us moving the stations to a new QTH
one week before the contest. We had some interaction between the stations at
times that we need to try and fix before the CW contest. We had done the
contest so many years at W6BA's that the interaction had been pretty much
eliminated. The only time that Murphy struck during the contest was early
Saturday evening when we lost the connection at the feed point of the 15 meter
yagi. It happened in the middle of a real good JA run. Tom Alford (W6KP) and
the guys that were not operating at the time had the tower cranked down, tilted
over, the feedpoint connection fixed and everything back up and operating in a
little over 2 hours. We probably lost about 200 QSOs from the JA run but the
antenna was fixed for the European runs that came on Sunday.

Tom's (W6KP) QTH in Anza, CA is at about 4500 feet with some great roll-offs
towards Europe, Japan and the Carribean. His antennas consist of an inverted L
for 160 meters, a full size KLM vertical for 80 meters, a 4 element KLM at 70
feet for 40 meters, a 6 element KLM at 70 feet for 20 meters, a 6 element KLM
at 70 feet for 15 meters and a 6 element KLM at 37 feet for 10 meters.

At the end of the weekend, we realized that our raw score was enough ahead of
the W6 record that we have a chance of breaking it, if we don't lose too many
points from the UBN log checking process....we will just have to wait and see.

As usual, it was a lot of fun to watch Dan (AD6DO) and Doug (N6RT) operate.
They are both incredibly talented operators that help bring in a big score for
our team every year.

The operators were as follows:

160 meters:   K6HMS
 80 meters:   W6KK and W6RW
 40 meters:   K6AM and W6HT
 20 meters:   N6WS and W6TK
 15 meters:   AD6DO
 10 meters:   N6RT
  Floaters:   W6KP, N6AW and N6KI

Toward the end of the contest, Jan (N6AW) and I said that the only thing
missing was that Bill Adams (W6BA) and Jerry Hagen (N6AV) were not alive to
enjoy the score with us. They had both expended a lot of talent and energy
since 1968 towards making this year's score possible. We wish they were here
with us.

Now....what was that Zone 3 CQWW CW record?

73 de Mike/W6RW