[3830] ARRL SS SSB N5ZC SO Unlimited

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS SSB N5ZC SO Unlimited
From: rthorne@tcac.net (rthorne@tcac.net)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:33:04 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes - SSB

Call: N5ZC
Operator(s): N5ZC
Station: N5ZC

Class: SO Unlimited
Operating Time (hrs): 12.6

Section: WTX

  160:
   80:     91
   40:     41
   20:    250
   15:    269
   10:    271
-------------------------------
Total:    922 x     79  =  145,676

Comments:

Started off the contest very well.  The first six hours netted 100+ q's per
hour.  Then the fun started on 40 and 80.  I don't know what it is but I can
never do well on those bands.  I've tried several different antennas with no
luck.  It must be a combination of the operator and the qth.

I was calling cq on 75 on what appeared to be a clear frequency.  When all
of a
sudden a huge signal, I mean huge had come on freq.  It was AB5SE.  He had
taken a quick break to retune his amp.  I made a few q's (hard earned lots
of
cq's with no answers) before Jerry Came back on. Anyways Jerry and I chatted
breifly and I relinquished the freq.  I listened for a few minutes and he
had
guys calling him left and right.  What kind of antenna are you using Jerry?

That was par for the cousrse on the low bands.  I would call cq, give up,
and
someone else would come on frequency and have good success.  Go figure.

Used the Kachina 505dsp with the Acom 2000a amp in the local mode.  I'm not
able to run high power via remote control due to disconnect problems on 10
and
80.  I'll get it figured out one of these days.

Antennas.  C4XL/C3 stack at 75' and 45'.  I wish I had another C3 on another
tower at 45'.  Just before the contest Jim, K4MA and I chatted and I did a
quick antenna test.  He said that the C3 at 45' was much better than the
C4XL
at 75'.  The stack was also better than the C4XL by itself. It would be nice
have a second C3 at 45' pointed the opposite direction and phased.  Oh well,
theres always something better.  I used an inverted V at 75' for 80/75.  And
the C4XL for 40m.

I got my sweep at 13:58 with a VE9. This was nice qso because the fella who
was
calling cq on that freq took a quick break so I could work the VE9.  I
forgot
his call but thanks for letting me use your frequency for a moment.

I pulled the switch Sunday morning at at 15:43z after 12:40 hours of
operation.
 I just couldn't handle calling cq with no answers with the wx being so nice
out.  I left the office, went home and loaded my remote control planes in
the
truck.  It was a great Sunday for flying........

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/