[3830] KH2/N2NL 1999 CQWWCW SOHP 80M SINGLE BAND + comments

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KH2/N2NL 1999 CQWWCW SOHP 80M SINGLE BAND + comments
From: n2nl@netpci.com (Dave Mueller)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:18:10 +1000
1999 CQWWCW

Call: KH2/N2NL
country: Guam
Category: 80M only, High Power

Hours operated: 18

BAND    QSO    QSO POINTS   PTS/QSO   ZONES   COUNTRIES
80m     963      2802         2.91     30       79

Claimed Score: 305,418*

* existing Oceania 80m record:
  9M6NA (1996) 876 QSOs 24 Zones 66 Countries 231,480 pts

Continental Statistics:
NA: 266
SA: 14
EU: 227
AS: 442 (357 JA's)
AF: 2
OC: 41

Setup:  800W, homebrew 80m vertical, 40ft tall with a top loading
wire (inverted L configuration), fed 20ft high with 11 elevated
radials.  400ft long beverage toward JA/EU run along the power
poles behind my house

FIRST,  Let me tell everyone who thought I was an alligator SORRY!

   I had intended to operate full out SOAB Assisted from KH2JU's
QTH, but 2 days before the contest some important family matters
came up and I would only be able to operate in the evenings.  I
decided to operate at home with a new 80m vertical I had just put up
that seemed to work well.  I had intentioned to work a couple hundred
JA's and perhaps a few stateside and European QSOs thrown in.
   Wow!  The antenna worked better than I even imagined.  My first
QSO was with 4M7X which was 45 minutes before my sunset.  I was able
to work 99% of everything I could hear.  The only 2 stations I heard
but couldn't work were A45XR (big EU pileup) and TA3D (CQed in my face).
Best DX was E4/S53R whom I worked with 1 call through a EU/JA pileup.
   Unfortunately, I had bad noise problems.  The 1st night I had some
sort of rushing noise which was 20 over s9.  The beverage was a lifesaver.
Although it was pointed to EU I was forced to use it 90% of the time
because of the noise.  I heard many USA stations calling I just couldn't
pull out that were S0 and in the noise.  I tried my best and trust me, I
was banging my head on the wall trying to hear you all.  Fortunately the
noise went away before EU sunset and I was able to work just about everyone
in EU who called.
   Night 2 was the same deal, except the noise was worse and it didn't go
away.  Finally at 1AM local with the new record in hand I shut everything
down and went to bed.  For some reason I worked no Africa (except zone 33)
and zone 22/39 although I looked all over.  I dunno if it was propagation
or I couldn't hear them on the beverage or through the noise.  I sure hope
they weren't calling me and I couldn't hearing me.
   Both nights I had extremely bad interference from RA0CG.  He was pegging
the needle here and I was hearing bad key clicks and phase noise whenever
within 15KC of him.  Funny, it took him quite a bit of time to hear me, he
must have been listening on another antenna pointed away from me [? ;)].
   Thanks to Gus, KH2/K4SXT who operated in the dark, damp, and scary realms
of 160m to let me have 80m to myself.  It was fun being pretty much the only
game in town for zone 27 on 80.
   I hope everyone was able to pick KH2 up on the other bands, I know both
AH2R
and KH2/K4ANA were quite active.  This is my last CQWW from the Pacific for
while as I am getting transferred to Florida sometime early next year.
   73, Dave KH2/N2NL
QSL via W2YC
MULTIPLIERS (1ST ONE WORKED ONLY)
4K9C, 4X4DK, P3A, 8P9Z, 9A4W, 9M2AX, 9M6AAC, 9V1PC, A61AJ, BV3FG, BY1DX,
C6AJX,
CE3F, CN8WW, DK4RM, DU3GY, E4/S53R, EA3AJI, EA6NB, EA9EA, ES5Q, EU7SA, EX8W,
F5NLY, FK8FU, H44MX, HA8JV, HB9BIN, HC8N, HL1AV, HS0ZAA, II1H, IT9INO, J3A,
JA4CUU, JT1JA, K5NU, NH2E, AH6NJ, KH8/N5OLS, KL7Y, LY2TA, LZ1PM, OH7M, OH0Z,
OK5W, OM5MZ, ON5NT, OZ1BTE, P40E, PA0CLN, PJ4B, PY2SP, S57X, 7S2E, SP9FKQ,
J45T, T32PO, TI1C, UA4PT, RW2F, RA0CG, UN7CW, UU2JQ, V73CW, V8A, VE5RI,
VK5GN
VP5DX, 6D2X, XU7AAV, XX9TDX, YB0ARA/9, YU1KR, 4M7X, ZM1A, ZP6T.