[3830] CQWW CW K2UA SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K2UA SOAB HP
From: k2ua@arrl.net (k2ua@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:15:49 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - CW

Call: K2UA
Operator(s): K2UA
Station: K2UA

Class: SOAB HP
Operating Time (hrs): 45

  160:     40     13     31
   80:     61     13     41
   40:    600     27     93
   20:    681     29     87
   15:    701     28     87
   10:   1115     29     98
-------------------------------
Total:   3198    139    437  =  5,386,752

Comments:

All in all this was an amazing contest experience. I have never seen 10 meters
like this, and I have never heard so well on the low bands as I do now with
three Beverages (and a very quiet location).

A few notes, by band:

160--NG Friday night and pretty good Saturday night. Suddenly I felt like I had
the keys to the band--for about an hour. I was seriously tempted to stay there,
but I was contesting, not DXing.

80--Mostly a band that I skipped when going back and forth between 160 and all
the other bands. I was not feeling loud--ever--with either antenna (one
vertical, one horizontal). I guess I will have to break down and put up a
phased vertical array so I can run Europe.

40--The surprise of the weekend! Rates were fabulous and the band was
unstoppable right through EU sunrise on Friday night. 500 Qs the first night.
Sunday evening before the end of the contest was also quite good, but all the
stations were the same and I was lured away to walk JAs on 15 and 10.

20--It seemed like I was never there at the right time to make the most of it,
except for EU sunrise the first night. Had a 93 hour at 08Z. The rest of the
time it was mostly a fill-in band, until I spent some more quality time there
Sunday afternoon.

15--Took a back seat to 10, but worked just fine.

10--I spent a lot of time here, and it was all productive. The 4-stack is a
killer. So was the QRM! I never thought 10 would be the toughest band, but I
spent a lot of time using a 6-dB attenuator to keep the rig from overloading.
This is normal on 40, but wow--10 meters! It turns out I really need narrower
filters--cascaded 500-Hz filters just don't cut it.