[3830] OE5T CQWW SSB MS Results and Info

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] OE5T CQWW SSB MS Results and Info
From: k3079e2 at c210.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at (Huber Oliver B.)
Date: Thu Nov 4 12:36:18 1999

Hi contester,

the following summary is the inofficial UNCHECKED one, so there might be
some
changes (unchecked means, that I did not correct it until now).

                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: OE5T                     Country:  Austria
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single

      160      175      192     1.10      6      39
       80      339      464     1.37     13      59
       40      411      900     2.19     17      69
       20      492     1098     2.23     28     100
       15      706     1508     2.14     32     106
       10     1213     3053     2.52     36     116

     Totals   3336     7215     2.16    132     489  =>  4,480,515

Operator List: OE5OHO, OE3GEA, OE5MKM, OE5VBL, OE5MRP

Equipment Description: Running Station: FT-1000MP + ALPHA 91B
                       Multi-Station: FT-900AT
                       shared Antennas: 5ele 3band-Yagi
                                        multiband-GP
                                        40m-Quad
                                        80m-Quad
                                        160m-Dipole
                                        Sloper

QTH Description: Center of 250.000 inhabitants city - Linz.
                 Shack is _IN_ the industrial area, too close to the
                 following noise-sources: 2 high-duty powerlines
                                          1 industrial railroad-station
                                          1 steel-industrie
                                          + many other firms

COMMENTS:
=========

SUNSPOTS are back - definitely!!!

What a contest-weekend. Our setup compared to last year was nearly the same,
except that the mainstation now is a 1000MP and that for the first time we
had a fine voicekeyer (DVS-2 doesn`t do the job right in combination with
the 1000MP) - see www.eham.net and reviews for further info.
In our mini-team are except myself no "real" contesters and as the contest
manager of our club my goal is to motivate everyone and to guide the mini-
team to new hights.
I took serious effort on propagation prediction and plans when to operate
on which bands into each direction, thanks W6EL, K9LA, WA7BAY. I learned
quite something doing so! But what happened over the weekend was far
beyond what I could imagine before the contest!!!

Conditions remained very stable:

- flux-numbers (ranging from about 190 the first day to about 170 the 2nd)
  presented us wide-open high-bands. See our 10m-Q`s!
- k-index averaging around 2 or even less made the low-band operations work
  fine too! I was called by W3LPL and other big guns around OE-sunrise on
  lovely Topband, 80m was fine and 40m as usual great time.

Comparing our approx. 4,5 mio points to the last years score, we could
increase our score by 300% !!!!!! Our Q`s increased by 180% !
Adding up 10, 15 and 20m Q`s clearly shows that 70% of this years contacts
were made on the high-bands, a trend that I am sure will be present in all
other logs too. How good actual 10m-condx were you can derive from our 10m
Q`s, which by the way made 35% of our this years total Q`s. To top it off we
achieved DXCC on 3 bands - another first time record for us!

To sum it up: Condx were ultra-fine-business - sunspots ARE back. Despite
our industrial-noise (which is averaging around S-9 !!) and rather puny
setup (compared to real contest-stations) our mini-team converted the fine
condx into our best score ever!!

I will upload a short story and some pictures about our CQWW-effort to my
homepage at
             www.qsl.net/oe5oho

On this page you`ll also find my logsearch for TK/OE5XVL and soon our
CQWW SSB 1999 log!

vy 73 es DX de Oliver OE5OHO.