[3830] ARRL 160 FS/W2QM Multi-Op

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 FS/W2QM Multi-Op
From: n2bim@njdxa.org (n2bim@njdxa.org)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:01:20 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: FS/W2QM
Operator(s): W2JB, N2BIM, K2CO
Station: FS/W2QM

Class: Multi-Op
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Section: DX

Totals:
   153 QSOs x ( 48 Sections +   0 Countries) =  14688

Comments:

Club affiliation:
    NJDXA  (North Jersey DX Association, Inc.)

Equipment:
    IC-746 (100 watts) and 160 meter Inverted Vee.

Soapbox:

The antenna was set up on a 15' pole (actually, the skim net for the unusable
(it was really green!) swimming pool), off the 2nd floor deck of the villa.
The deck was about 40 ft above the ground, with the ground sloping sharply away
from the villa.  We estimate that we were about 400' above the ocean, which was
about 2500 feet away from and to the North of the villa.  This antenna was
SUPER.  Very low noise.  Don't really know why it was so quiet, but we heard
LOTS of signals.

On Friday night, our first contact was with K1ZM.  He came back to us with just
one call!  But after that, things were slow.  We heard MANY stations CQing that
could not hear us.  We wore out the F4 key trying to contact these stations.
We finally gave up S&P and got in the DX window and started calling CQ
ourelves.  As we got spotted on packet, things picked up a bunch.  Most of our
QSO's were made on Sat PM/Sun AM by CQing in the DX window.  We made 46 QSOs on
Fri/Sat and the rest were Sat/Sun.

We plan to go back in 2001.  By that time, they should be marketing a nice,
lightweight switching power supply that will run 100 amps, so we'll take an amp
with us.  This year, nobody felt like carrying 80 pounds of power supply!

We had fun in the contest and we were glad to provide the mult to those that
heard us.

73,  The NJDXA Gang.