[3830] ARRL 10 NX5M Multi-Single HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 NX5M Multi-Single HP
From: nx5m@alpha1.net (nx5m@alpha1.net)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:20:47 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, N5XJ, N4GCA, *K5NZ, *KB5ZFO  (*A FEW HOURS SATURDAY)
Station: NX5M

Class: Multi-Single HP
Operating Time (hrs): 33

   CW:   1190    139
  SSB:   2235    149
----------------------
Total:   3425    288  =  2,660,544

Comments:

Not a bad weekend at all.  Thanks to K5NZ for taking the drive over to help out
for a few hours Saturday.  Sunday was hard on those three of us who were left
to finish up.  N4GCA was coming down with the flu bug.  I drove home at 1am
Sunday morning to monitor a line of thunderstorms in the hope that it would not
shut down our operating time.  My hopes DID NOT come true (more later). Only
slept for about 2 hours so I was pretty dead on Sunday.

Friday night it seemed like the band was going to quit in the 2nd hour.  But it
rebounded and kept us happy for the next 3 hours until it started to dwindle
again. Just after 0600 we called it quits.

First thing Saturday morning we got started 30 minutes later than planned.
About mid-morning the lower Europe antenna decided to stop playing.

Those dreaded thunderstorms rolled in Sunday morning and kept us off the air
for about 1.5 hours. I had been monitoring their movement and was hoping they
would come and go before it was time for us to get back on the air.  That did
not happen and there was nothing that we could do about it.  If I had known the
storms were going to come in at the time they did, I certainly would have
stayed on beyond 0625z.  The band was still open at 0630z with signals coming
in here well over s9.  Although most everyone had already gone to bed, at least
there would have been a few qsos to be made from 0630-0700 or even later.
Those few qsos certainly would have been better than those ZERO we had Sunday
morning.

I expected to see a higher number of DX multipliers in the log than what we
had.  I was anticipating numbers over 100 on each mode but fell 19 short on CW
and 12 short on SSB.  No Wyoming on cw surprised the heck out of me!

Thanks to everyone for the qsos.  Without those of you who spin the dial
contests would be boring.

Seasons greeting!

Bob NX5M