[3830] ARRL 10 K4TMC SO SSB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K4TMC SO SSB LP
From: k4tmc@juno.com (k4tmc@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:27:01 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K4TMC
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SO SSB LP
Operating Time (hrs): 24.5

   CW:      0      0
  SSB:    644    117
----------------------
Total:    644    117  =  150,696

Comments:

Club affiliation: PVRC

Great conditions, and my best effort since 93, but still lots of room for
improvement - slept too late Saturday morning, son had an early Sunday morning
hockey game, and too many family-related interruptions.  Wife says I spent more
time playing with antennas than putting-up Christmas decorations so far this
month!

At one point sometime Sunday afternoon, I was hearing stations in every corner
of the continental US including HI and AK, and everything in-between.  The only
state I never heard was DE, although I did hear some Europeans actually working
someone there earlier in the contest.  Working them all in the Low Power
category through S9+ QRM is a real challenge!  I missed KY, MD, NH, VT, OH, WV,
RI, and of course DE.

What happened to the LUs and PYs?  I had a 4 element Delta Loop DL-104 pointed
in their direction, but only worked a few dozen.

A quick decision Friday afternoon to put an extra 3 element yagi fixed on
Africa and move the 4 element, normally reserved for Africa, to the West was a
good decision.  It was easier to work the few Pacific stations and break
through the pileups on the JA stations.  A reorientation of the 3 element yagi
to the South Sunday afternoon resulted in easier backscatter contacts with the
W1s, 2, and 3s.  The takeoff angle on the yagi versus the Delta Loop must have
made a difference.

Equipment:
Kenwood TS850SAT with IRCI 2.1kHz filters in both IFs; Heil HC4 boom mic on
Radio Shack headphones; Delta Loop Antennas DL-104 at 35 ft. on AB-952 mast
fixed to South America; 3 element yagi at 35 ft. on AB-577 fixed to Africa; 4
element yagi hanging from tree at 40 ft. fixed West; and 6 element Rope Gun
yagi at 45 ft. Fixed on Europe; all switchable from an Ameritron RCS-8 remote
switch.

Looking forward to next year!